Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
I guess the previous owners were told to "Get out.....GET OUT !" :)

Yea, I wouldn't want it either. The cost of living is outrageous up there.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Grew up 20 minutes from there. Saw it in high school. It is legit scary. They have since changes those "eye" windows. Still can't believe anyone would live there.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
In addition to the high cost of living, there would also be the annoyance of being pestered by gawkers and tourists all the time. No thanks.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,956 Posts
Wait, is this the DeFeo house or just the one used in the original movie? The real horror there are the bathroom & BR in the pics that are posted. I'd buy it if I could afford it just to redo it. Blech. Looks like heavy Victorian threw up in the BR.

And yes, this is an old article. They got rid of the iconic "eye" windows too.

Here's it's current Zillow listing.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/108-Ocean-Ave-Amityville-NY-11701/32596605_zpid/

·
Registered
14,075 Posts
Am I missing something here? The DailyMail story references a house for sale in New Jersey and then mentions "the real one" on Ocean Ave in New York and the photos seem to be of the Ocean Avenue one. My husband's been by the NY one years ago. RCIAG's link was to the house on Ocean Ave in New York. So what's the first house? Is there one in New Jersey too. Clearly it wasn't moved..... Although it sounds like the Ocean Avenue one was. Confused.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I would think twice about living in the original house, but this was just used for the movie.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I thought the whole Amityville thing was long ago busted as a grand hoax. (Is that redundant?) Every Fall, I think of the multitude of flies that gather in the windows of many Northern houses- including mine. We always joke that we should put in for a book deal... especially now that the annual phenomenon extends to a plague of stinkbugs. Their stench is definitely demonic!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I thought the whole Amityville thing was long ago busted as a grand hoax. (Is that redundant?) Every Fall, I think of the multitude of flies that gather in the windows of many Northern houses- including mine. We always joke that we should put in for a book deal... especially now that the annual phenomenon extends to a plague of stinkbugs. Their stench is definitely demonic!
It seems couple's lawyer/literary agent said they made it all up-- that they had some fun nights boozing it up and fabricating details.
The guy who killed his family (the prior owners, DeFeo) admitted that he'd made up the testimony about hearing voices telling him to kill, in hope of succeeding with an insanity plea.
A number of the book's details were contradicted or not corroborated.
The timing, coming fairly soon after The Exorcist's enormous commercial success makes it a bit suspicious.
The Lutz' son still says it was true...but it sounds like he's a bit troubled, and there are reports his father was abusive. If you weren't the least bit concerned with your kid's well-being, it would be pretty easy to convince a fragile 10 year old of evil forces out to get him...and to instill false "memories" that would last him into adulthood.

On the other hand, the Lutz couple apparently went to their graves maintaining it was all true. I read somewhere that they passed a lie detector test, but I have no idea what the questions were, nor who administered and interpreted the test. It all boils down to what you choose to believe-- which is fine.

One theory really amused me though-- the idea that the house was built on a Native American burial grounds (why are Native American literary ghosts so much more likely to be vengeful than are ghosts of European or African descent? Every group has had some of their sacred burial sites disturbed!) and that a departed spirit wouldn't rest until the people left and the house was burned to the ground. The place is supposed to have a poltergeist that could pick up the garage, float people around, make insects appear and disappear, blood seep from the walls and whatnot...but he couldn't strike a match and just burn the place himself? That sounds like the monster/maniac that I was pretty sure lived in my closet when I was very little. I just knew he could render me mute and tear me to shreds while my parents slept in the next room, completely unaware....but as long as the closet door was shut, I was safe, because pushing back a sliding door was somehow beyond his ability. Heehee!

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
One theory really amused me though-- the idea that the house was built on a Native American burial grounds (why are Native American literary ghosts so much more likely to be vengeful than are ghosts of European or African descent?
Probably something about living in peace within themselves and nature and a bunch of diseased ridden d-bags come over to steal your land, rape your women, and kill your family. Just saying, if that happened to me, I would be eternally pissed.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,956 Posts
Ron DeFeo is a sociopath that is now saying his sister helped with the murders or will blame anyone else but himself. There was a piece on Biography about him & his "evidence."

Part one, the other parts are linked over on the right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6L0wEx9fkY

"There's no way one person could do it all" is basically his defense now. He takes zero responsibility for any of it. He is exactly where he should be & should remain until he dies.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
Am I missing something here? The DailyMail story references a house for sale in New Jersey and then mentions "the real one" on Ocean Ave in New York and the photos seem to be of the Ocean Avenue one. My husband's been by the NY one years ago. RCIAG's link was to the house on Ocean Ave in New York. So what's the first house? Is there one in New Jersey too. Clearly it wasn't moved..... Although it sounds like the Ocean Avenue one was. Confused.
Maybe one house is the real one and the other house was used for the movie? Just guessing.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Probably something about living in peace within themselves and nature and a bunch of diseased ridden d-bags come over to steal your land, rape your women, and kill your family. Just saying, if that happened to me, I would be eternally pissed.
Not so sure about the peace part, but at any rate, every culture has had that done to them by some other culture at one time or another. Doesn't make it ok, but people are people. No ethnic group is lowly scum, and no ethic group is magically superior.
I was just commenting on fictional portrayals.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,956 Posts
I think either house would have looky-loos at all hours so I'd most likely I'd stay away from either one for that reason alone.

It wouldn't bother me that there were murders in my house or a horror movie about those murders filmed in my house but people gawking at all hours would make me crazy.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I was at a convention some years back and one of the owners or someone closely involved was there speaking in a room full of people. Some friends and myself were standing outside the room in the hallway. Yes, I had to do it. I stuck my head inside and said it...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts