Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help finding some particular lighting. What I'm looking for are color-changing LED pumpkin lights. They look like this. I've found that they can be tucked away into corners, underneath ledges, and such to provide some neat ambient lighting in small spaces. I need a few of them, and I haven't been able to find them in stores yet. Has anyone seen them?

I think I originally got it them at Walmart, but my local store has yet to put all of their Halloween stuff out yet. I haven't seen them in Michaels, Joanns, Target, or the Spirit store. I'm coming to the end of my Halloween budget, so I want to avoid shipping charges (every buck helps) by finding these in stores during my regular outings.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
that was my thought exatly. I saw an add today for pumpkin lights that change color. Fred Meyer carries them.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
These are a great idea. I have used glow sticks in my pumpkins in the past in bad weather or where safety is a concern, but wasn't impressed with the results.

I haven't seen them in the stores, but for any interested and safety conscious UK members, they are available here...
Colour Changing Pumpkin Light, LED lights for use in pumpkins and other Halloween Decorations, UK

And as TraderSam says, they would also be great for adding a bit of ambient lighting in your nooks and crannies.

Thanks for the idea, TraderSam!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ooo! That's even better! It does look the same as what I have, only far better because I can stop it on any color. I was secretly hoping they made ones that did that so that I wouldn't have a color-changing mess. I like control.

Thanks. I'll see if they're sold in stores anywhere, otherwise I'll have to order them. I hate waiting for packages to come in. The anticipation kills me!

They really are good for ambient lighting, but I prefer to make a slight modification to them. As-is, they project a hard spotlight of color. I like to take them apart, place a piece of vellum on the inside of the clear lens, and put them back together. The vellum disperses the light so that you have a soft glow.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, either the Spirit website has the wrong picture, or it is wrong about the flickering. On the manufacturer's website, the Deluxe Rainbow Pumpkin Light makes no mention of flickering. The non-deluxe version does flicker. At least, that's what I've gathered.

I actually found a decent price for them on eBay ($1.99). The shipping is what gets you. Still, it was FAR cheaper to order it there. I got 8 of them for a total of $24.48 (incl. shipping + handling). I think the only saving grace there was that the items are sold from a neighboring town (I didn't realize it until after I placed the order). So, shipping should also be very quick.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I need some help with lighting. Im setting up a haunted house in my garage, and i need to know which kinds of lights work best. I know im going to use black lights, but i've also wondered if red or green floodlights would be any good. Anyone here tried this out?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got my lights in today. Inside was also a complementary booklet of 14 pumpkin cut-out designs.

I finally found these lights in a Walgreens store today for $4.99, and they only had a couple. I definitely found a better bargain on eBay. Now I have to make sure that they all work, disassemble them, paint the outer shell black (the white text is a little tacky to have exposed, and they'll be easier to hide in the dark), and insert vellum discs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, one of the eight lights doesn't work. Still, it was a darn good price for seven working ones. I'll contact the eBay seller to see if there's a return/exchange policy.

I decided not to paint the shells black. It would be too time consuming to take them completely apart (the electronics all have to come out).

To demonstrate the differences between the lights with and without vellum, I took some pictures. Here, you can see a regular light (left), a light with vellum inside (right), and a vellum disc (bottom).

Here's a light without vellum. You get a hard, bright spotlight.

And, here is a light with vellum. The light isn't as bright in the center, and it is spread out over a wider area.

The distance of the light in the photos is about 7-8 feet from the wall.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got an email from the seller. She's never had a problem with the lights, so she doesn't really have an exchange/return policy. But, she's already mailed out a brand-new light free of charge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts