Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Captain o'th Black Pearl
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah, that sounds like it would work, making the flap so it would have the clearance to open/close inside the T-fitting might be tough. I would have it hinged at the top instead of the bottom, then it's own weight would help close it. Other thing would be not to have the pressure too high as it would dissapate the fog too quickly to be seen. The light always on would work nicely tho..

TJ

·
Registered
46 Posts
As far as using a flap, I would say try it. I would be worried about the air from the cannon actually pushing the fog out of the way, you might get more fog from the other cannons than the one you are firing. I got lucky, I had everything I needed to build it sitting in the garage.
-Don

·
Registered
395 Posts
That was the system I was talking about building for you for your whole house ship scott. Trick is to make a fog resivour for each cannon (basically a box or container to fill with fog) and then use the air cannon, or just any air source (my air cannon ended up sounding like a goose honk) to blow out the fog. This could all be rigged up with a kit74 board to run up to 8 cannons, or you can make a relay system as well.

As for the origional design shown here, I believe you could use a servo to do the job as well, in place of the pneumatics. This way you could use an existing parallax board or ssc-32 in your case Teege, to open and close the valves. If you want to get really tricky, you could make it so the servo control arm hits a microswitch when the valve is open, and link this to the light (any momentary switch will work). This would eliminate the need for relays completely, even running the the fog machine off of a servo as well (just something strong enough to push down the button, to activate the machine, or a pico switch... I think thats what theyre called, could be used as well).

You can tell I like using servos lol... but these are just a few tweaks to make it a bit easier to make this if you dont have pneumatics available. Really like the idea of the cylinders to move the valves though, will last alot longer than servos and its just plain cool! :D

If I end up making a pirate ship again next year I will definitely mess with this design with my 700w fogger. I need some good foggers for next year, not that the 20-30 dollar ones are bad... but yea... lol... plus Im not building a hearse again this year so I can affoard a few really good ones (my hearse took 800 of my budget, but hey Im using it for christmas too... looks good lol)

So yea... My mind jus went wild there... excuse me... but hey I like to tinker :p

·
Registered
490 Posts
What if you built one that a servo pushed down the fog button opened the valve and turned on the light all with one servo would this work or not ( I'm kinda new at using servos)

·
Captain o'th Black Pearl
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The only trouble with servos I can see is having enuff torque to actually move a slider valve enuff distance to allow enuff fog out..

One thing I started thinking was that 400w foggers are usually cheap enuff(usually $25 at Spirit stores) to buy a couple and have a dedicated fogger per cannon (would solve the pnuematic/servo triggering problem), or buy another one and for four cannons, plumb a fogger to feed two cannons with a single T-fitting..

teege

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Captain o'th Black Pearl
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks Alwys.. I'll have to think of what to do for the valve actuators.. I havent got any pnuematic stuff at all, to go with the pnuem actuators I'd have to pick up a compressor, or at least a large tank. I'm thinking another fogger is cheaper than 3 or 4 pnuem actuators, compressor, plumbing. I got my fogger for $25 at the Spirit store. I may get another fogger, fit a Y splitter on each and use the two foggers to feed four cannons, firing one pair a few seconds after the first pair. Good thing October is a lil ways off..

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Jack, how would you be firing the foggers? Servos against the buttons or something else? I have used a solid state relay to do it before.
-Don

·
Captain o'th Black Pearl
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I already have the remote timer for the fogger, I will prob mod it for a SSR trigger too. If I pick up the second fogger, I'll make a Y-splitter for the remote timer to run both foggers. As I was just walking around the ship last year during TOT visits as Capt Jack, I may just manually trigger the foggers...

TJ

·
Registered
574 Posts
How do you plan on overcoming the "warm up time" factor of the foggers? In order to get the blast of fog synchronized with the sound and light, everyone else has used a valve to hold back the fog, which is then released at the correct moment.

·
Captain o'th Black Pearl
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The fogger is always on, heating as long as its plugged in. With the remote, it'll just sit there until the button is pressed, if the remote's hacked and triggered by VSA and an SSR then I wont have to do anything if there's a fogger trigger in the routine.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If your only using 2 foggers for 4 cannons, I would make them do alternating pairs..... not two cannons right next to eachother... in essence it would be..... just overlapping the Y's... so every other cannon is each fogger C1(F1) C2(F2) C3(F1) C4(F2)... like that... I tried drawing it with text but it would not accept it the way I wanted to... but this way it would give the TOTs less of an idea that your using just 2 foggers... but again this method without valves will give less of an explosive plume look and more of a spray like the actual foggers themselves. You could do it with servos, but even with cheap ones... unless you get a deal on ebay (right now theres a set of 16 used with a bunch of recievers and batterys for like 20 dollars)... that would add up to 60+ if you paid retaill for 4 of them.

So if you have the extra cash Id go with the valve system over another fogger, but if you dont another fogger with an alternating pattern would be your best bet.

·
Registered
395 Posts
actually captain, I have 7 of the 400 watt foggers from walmart, target, michaels, etc... that are slightly used, and Id be glad to pass you one of them when you pick up your skulls... otherwise I could send one to you... theyre not brand new but if you run some cleaning solution (2:1 ratio of distilled water to distilled vinegar) they should run like new.

·
Registered
107 Posts
alwysrit2, I watched your video of the cannon foggers and happened to notice it said your last name is Long, if that is correct, I just wanted to say that my last name is also Long and we built a pirate ship last year for Halloween as well, several of our friends have been asking if that is us on youtube, lol, 2 pirate halloween haunts by 2 different Long family's, kinda ironic.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts