Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me? Or am I the only person around that likes old-fashioned , creepy, cozy, Halloween stuff? I mean I like horror just as much as the next person..but why is it that all the modern horror films are filled with blood and gore and T/A? What happened to fog, dark of night, the sound of the wind…blowing shutters, creaking doors????

I went to Salem MA today…and it was nice. But I did notice a lot of hotdog and t-shirt stands. I have been going there for haunted happenings each year since 1983. For personal reasons, I didn’t go between 2005 and 2008. When I went back in 2009 I couldn’t believe how cheesy it was… hot dog and fried dough stands, t-shirt wagons, and a full blown carnival.

Is it me??

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,960 Posts
Well modern horror films are more like slasher films. They just don't make 'em like they used to. Hitchcock these guys ain't.

·
Incarnation of evil
916 Posts
Damn, I wish I could to Salem on a moments notice. Just kidding. Texas hello---> LOL Your right I went in 1999 my first and probably only real vacation. It was a bit cheesy, but loved it all the same. The city of Salem is actually not where everthing happened. They just capitalized on it. But the Old Burying Point and the Haunted Happenings around Halloween are well worth it. Have not been in quite a while and probably never will again. SO DON'T RUIN MY DREAMS!!! LOL just kidding again. I never thought about all the pirate lore in the area that was worth it also. Some day I vow to return home. LOL

·
Incarnation of evil
916 Posts
Do you remember the records on the back of the Franken berry cereal boxes. Those were cool. They had halloween sounds of them. I love sounds like that. I love gore as well. As Clive Barker once said "The anticipation of death is sometimes worse than death itself".

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Your not alone with this one, I totally love the classics.
Someone thought they needed to show more blood, guts, & gore vs leaving things to their imaginations. Wrong! I'll take a 5 gallon pail of blood vs an entire tanker truck. lol The original Halloween (1980) had no blood at all & was very scary.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Your not alone with this one, I totally love the classics.
Someone thought they needed to show more blood, guts, & gore vs leaving things to their imaginations. Wrong! I'll take a 5 gallon pail of blood vs an entire tanker truck. lol The original Halloween (1980) had no blood at all & was very scary.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nope, you're not alone. While I like blood and guts and all the gory stuff, it's completely separate from my Halloween obsession. Halloween to me is more as you describe it, crisp Autumn air, crunchy leaves, creaking shutters, wind and darkness ...GAWD I hate summer, haha

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
958 Posts
I totally agree! I am way more the classic Halloween lover....cool, dark nights, bonfires, smores, jack-o-lanters, TOT, Caramel Apples, Hay rides.....I hate summer. When is FALL???

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Absolutely agree.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Nope. You're preaching to the choir, brother!
I love horror movies too, but hardly ever go to see any, since very seldom is there a decent ghost story or "quiet horror" type to be found.
Too much gore and not enough "creep" factor.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
I too am more into the atmospheric creepy stuff but do like a smattering (or splattering?) of the later stuff here and there.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have to agree with all of you, I personaly would rather rent a half dozen older horror flicks than go to the movies to see one of the newer "slasher" type flicks they make today. Its kind of sad to look around town at my fellow haunters and see how many go for the slasher effect in thier haunts, I find that the kids imaginations do a much better job at scaring them than the "in your face" effect that my neighbors go for. It never fails to amaze me the way a little fish line hanging from the branches of my tree and a slightly over sized spider prop can freak the kids out as the line brushes thier faces as they walk through.

F

·
0 Posts
Classic Halloween Spooky is the way to be! The hoot of an owl, a full moon, bushes rustling, a skeleton thats jaw drops open randomly, bubbling cauldrons and shadows. I would take spooky over bloody any day.

·
Witch Of The West Coast
1,751 Posts
I remember covering my eyes while watching old spook movies where the moon was full, door knobs turned, there was knocking on the walls and you just knew something scary was going to happen. You never saw a darn thing but just the thought of what may be there scared the bageebies out of you!! I LOVED it!!! I still love a good ghost story and don't really care for the slasher stuff.. I do however love spring and summer. It's the perfect time to work on halloween stuff! :)

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
I remember covering my eyes while watching old spook movies where the moon was full, door knobs turned, there was knocking on the walls and you just knew something scary was going to happen. You never saw a darn thing but just the thought of what may be there scared the bageebies out of you!! I LOVED it!!! I still love a good ghost story and don't really care for the slasher stuff.. I do however love spring and summer. It's the perfect time to work on halloween stuff! :)
I have to agree. This is the best time to work on props for Halloween, but I do miss the coolness of the days in Fall.

Long live creepy breezes, chains rattlin', and wolves howling. I've never been a fan of hack n slash.

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,435 Posts
Is it me? Or am I the only person around that likes old-fashioned , creepy, cozy, Halloween stuff? I mean I like horror just as much as the next person..but why is it that all the modern horror films are filled with blood and gore and T/A? What happened to fog, dark of night, the sound of the wind…blowing shutters, creaking doors????

I went to Salem MA today…and it was nice. But I did notice a lot of hotdog and t-shirt stands. I have been going there for haunted happenings each year since 1983. For personal reasons, I didn’t go between 2005 and 2008. When I went back in 2009 I couldn’t believe how cheesy it was… hot dog and fried dough stands, t-shirt wagons, and a full blown carnival.

Is it me??
I hear ya! Exactly how I feel. Have been to Salem a few times and when we were there in October a couple of years ago it was kind of a let down. Went on a very nice ghost tour though, but unfortunately the groups were too big, made it hard to hear the guide.
Love Salem!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Although I always include a pretty graphic area of my haunt, I also agree that spooky is better than gory. Skellys, shadows, candle light, Jack O' Lanterns, graveyards, etc...

Thanks for mentioning Salem. My GF and I have been planning since last year to go the 3rd week of October, but due to some future instability w/ her job, we have been wavering on going. The cheese factor you mentioned plus the crowd sizes are leaning me towards nixing the idea and just putting out another great Haunt/ Party for this year. Darn!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts