Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to see if i'm the only person on this board who's town/city has trick-or-treating during the day/afternoon. I really want to start a petition to hopefully get trick-or-treating changed back to night time. :(

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am glad they do not do that here. I would hate it if they did. Its bad enough that they it gets dark here kinda late as it is. Plus who is home in the afternoon to pass out the treats? Well except those of us who always take Halloween off.

I know there are areas that do that kind of thing. Change the time or date in the interest of public safety or so they claim. But I do not like it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My town of Lannon, WI does it in the afternoon. Lame.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Having trick or treat during the day would kill all the scary fun! Ours usually starts at 6pm and runs till 730pm. So we do get some darkness.

·
Registered
668 Posts
our town often tries to do halloween on the weekend when it falls in the middle of the week but noone really ever listens to them and everyone just gives out candy on Halloween anyway. I hate the idea of giving it out during the afternoon. Most kids are in school, and parents are at work. Heck my youngest kid doesn't get off the bus until 4pm by the time we were all ready it would be getting dark anyway (dark is usually around 5:30 here by then).
I hope you get it changed.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Ours is usually 3:00 - 7:00. I don't know why it starts at 3:00 when the elementary school kids don't even get out of school until 3:30! We usually still get TOTs after 7:00 but by 8:00 its pretty much done.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Man, I never realized how lucky WE are. Last year we had the last group go through at 10:27. TOT's started showing up at 5:00. I did notice that the little ones had pretty much wrapped up by 9:00 or so, and the majority of the later crowd was older.
I'd suggest that you approach your town council, or whomever, in person to ask for a one year reprieve. If there are problems in a particular area, I guess there's little one can do except wax nostalgic on "the good old days".

·
Registered
576 Posts
No specific rules or ordinances here in San Diego. In my neighborhood it starts around 5'ish with the last group going through about 8:30'ish.

Last year Wifeypoo was having a kids party in the backyard as I was frantically putting the finishing touches on my haunt in the front. I finished around 4:45 and had time to get 2 swigs of beer when...ding-dong! What the...?! Stations everyone! I need blood splatters, stat! go, go go!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess it's been like this where I live for about 30 years (I live in Manchester, NH) because they feel it's "unsafe" to have it at night. It's usuallly the last sunday before Halloween. I've had to work on trick-or-treat the last couple of years but this year I'm going to take it off! Thanks so much for being supportive, if I need any help I'll let you guys know :)

I remember when I was like 7 or 8 they used to have this thing downtown on Elm Street where they closed off a couple blocks and had a little trick-or-treating there which was pretty cool! They also had some really good haunted houses, costume contests, parades, etc. but for some reason they stopped doing that as well! :mad:

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
my parents neighborhood, where we stage our attack, here in San Diego, usually starts around 5, and goes until they run out of candy, or 9pm (when we close up shop and go out for our OWN celebration!) Halloween doesn't start until DUSK, and therefore there should NEVER be children in costume on the streets before that... besides, the best part of our haunt is viewed in the dark... my fog chiller would look stupid in broad daylight... and since when is a spookily lit graveyard scary in regular light? it's not! I vote for Halloween at NIGHT only. =) where it belongs!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
5pm to around 9pm seems to be the top times on this side of the pond too..
I really can't see the point of having ToT'ing when most of the kids are (or should be) in school.:confused:
It's great when the kids are coming home from school and see us out front setting up the haunt.."Wow!!..Sweeeet!!...Cooool!! I'm definitely coming here tonight.." etc. Then when they do come back and see the haunt lit up and us all in our costumes...It's priceless.
Halloween is an evening thing..Darkness or twighlight is essential to the experience. I'm not swayed by the "safety" argument either, as young ToT'ers should always be accompanied by a responsible person anyway, in my opinion.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
I'm curious to see if i'm the only person on this board who's town/city has trick-or-treating during the day/afternoon. I really want to start a petition to hopefully get trick-or-treating changed back to night time. :(
Last year ToT'ng ended at 7. It's not even dark until 8. I was really pissed off! I even wrote a letter to the major (it's a small town) and will probably do the same this year until the official Tot hours are announced. I remember when ToTing stated around 6 and ended around 10...or until their was no more candy. Now, Im lucky if it ends around 8. I hate my town. Hopefully it will be from 5-9 this year!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
From some of the posts in this thread, am I correct in assuming that some towns or communities in the States actually have officially allocated times for ToTing?

·
Registered
108 Posts
In the states whether hours are set are not is usually decided city by city. If my town tried to have set hours I would fight against it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts