Halloween Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my new and improved entrance columns to my graveyard. I think they look so much better than last year... much taller and I think the stone gray color will really make them stand out at night with the blue light on them.

The first 3 pics are the new ones and the last pic is from last year for reference.

But I wonder if I should try to add a little something. I have some fake moss that I am thinking of glueing on to the columns in select areas to make them look older but I wonder if it will look good and if it's even worth doing because people might not even notice.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Oooh those are great! I like the lighter color instead of black. I think you could add other items like moss, cracks, ravens, spiders but it really looks good as is.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice Colums! Your question is one I've been mulling for my columns as well. I think ultimately adding deformation and age will give a stronger Halloween feel, but personally I have a hard time hacking something up to make it look better. There are lots of examples on the forum especially on gravestone threads where members have achieved some fantastic looks with ageing, moss, etc.. Done correctly it clearly takes a little practice and time. Time we're running out of... Another nice effect I've seen is marbleing. I won't be ageing my column this year, but it's definately on my list to look at next year.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again.

You know I've never really been all that big of fan of the lights in the eye sockets of the skulls..... I guess I just think the dark void of the socket is scarier, at least for something like those columns or on my electric chair.

I think those skulls might be seeing their last Halloween though. They are made out of styrofoam. I cut the back off of them last year and Gorilla glued them to a small square of plywood and then screwed the plywood to the column. Last year the column blew over several times and the skulls have been beat up and are starting to chip away and show the white foam underneath. I had to fill in the white with a Sharpie to make them presentable for Halloween.

What I really would like to find is some sort of shield or crest with a skull or something of that nature on it but so far no luck.

·
Hauntless
8,395 Posts
DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

Those columns look great. The stature and design is phenomenal. Love the gargoyles on top.

But I agree, they need to be aged. I completely understand what you are saying about taking a perfectly good column and/or tombstone and hacking it and otherwise make a mess of it. But that is what makes it look authentic and spooky.

In that video tutorial I made a while ago you can see the crisp, neat paint job I started with (was it's base coat gray). But, when you take a big gulp of air and go for it, you won't be disappointed. Worse case, you can paint it again with the fresh gray:

YouTube - Painting Halloween tombstones

If it would help, I double-dog dare you too ;)

·
Registered
385 Posts
As the skulls sound like they maybe near the end, how about paint them to match? So they look like part of the plaster/concrete work instead hung on. Remember that foammelts with some paints

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Those columns look great. I like the taller design. You commented that you'd like a skull shield or crest. Here's an idea: The Dollar Tree sells plastic kid's shields, with some medallion on them. The medallion comes off very easily. The shields are about 10-12" tall and are curved. I used them on my columns last year. Added a wood cutout where the medallion was, painted with Dry-lock and then painted to go with the columns and attached them with glue. You could add a skull where the medallion was.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I second Terra's suggestion. My columns were flat grey last year because I ran out of time to distress them. I'm going to axe several other projects just to make sure I get time to distress my columns.

Do you have a name for your graveyard or yard haunt? If you have any stryofoam that you could put up there below the skull that would be a great addition, a name plaque or rules board or something. Maybe even just ,"Enter at own risk", or "Beware mortals you are on hallowed ground". Something just to add that little extra to the overall experience.

Don't get me wrong they look great as is! Though I think the little details are the ones that really add the little extra and make it a little more believable amping up the ToT's experience.

Remember take lots o' pictures of your final setup to share with everyone, thanks.

p.s. Almost forgot to ask. I've seen those gargoyles many times before but for the life of me I can't remember where to get them from???

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the gargoyles at Lowe's of all places.

You know I've never been able to decide on a name for my yard haunt..... I live in an addition called "Country Lane Estates" so I was kicking around the idea of "Country Lane Cemetery" but I don't know if I like that or not. Also with the jail cell prop and now the new electric chair it is going in the direction of a "prison" or "asylum" type thing and I might want to include that in the name also.

Country Lane Graveyard and Asylum?????

I guess when I finally think of the perfect name I'll know it immediately.

·
Registered
638 Posts
the columns do look really cool, I like the color as opposed to the black from last year, and the height definately adds an ominous feel to them. I would definately distress them if they were mine, but if you have other projects to finish, you can always add it to the post halloween project list. I re-watched the video that terra posted, and i think you could do the columns in about 4-5 housr of work. I guess it really is up to you, if you have the time, I would definately go for it!!!

·
Registered
591 Posts
You can get some moss and such then use double stick tape and tape them on in places you like and then if you don't like it there or that much take it off if you do then hot glue on.can't screw it up that way.also how about Country Lane Asylum and it happens to have a graveyard of people that didn't make it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Made a little bit of a change to the entrance columns. The condition of the skulls just kept getting worse..... with more of the outside surface flaking off and showing the white styrofoam underneath. So I decided the best thing to do for now is to repaint them and I decided on a high-gloss black. Takes a little bit of the detail away maybe but I think it should look pretty good with the lighting effect I use on my graveyard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts