Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a sweet Craigslist deal today--a truckful of styrofoam--FREE. Mainly 4'x4'x3" pieces (approx.) but it also included four 4'x8'x5" pieces and two 3'x4'x5" pieces. What should I make out of all of this? I could make a TON of tombstones, but I find the white styrofoam to be the hardest to work with. Or I could make a raft, and float to Canada.

Any ideas out there? Sarcophagus? Walk-in beer cooler? I dunno. I'm at a loss.

Thanks,
IslandCryptKeeper

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's More!

At least, there was this afternoon. The guy is in North Seattle. I don't know where you are in WA.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,067 Posts
You could make a cemetery arch out of the tall pieces.

Carve out hunks and make a stone well facade (I'm doing this with a huge piece of styro I found at the side of the road. We cut it into basic squares I sanded off some of the edges, used bamboo skewers to piece it together and I'm going to fill in the mortar gaps with great stuff foam and then hit the whole thing with spray paint to round off the individual stones and then paint it up)

use the hunks to make cemetery fence columns

:)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frankie's - I like the column idea, but we have an existing fence, and it wouldn't work out very well. We rent, so I can't really redo the fence in victorian wrought iron, as I would like. Landlord, probably wouldn't dig that.

Not sure I understand the well idea. Is that a well a la The Ring?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, a soap company.

It's actually fine European styrofoam. They sometimes get containers from Germany, and he said they are often "padded" with styrofoam. He speculates that they are just trying to dump it off on Americans because it is so hard and/or expensive to get rid of it over there.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
No, a soap company.

It's actually fine European styrofoam. They sometimes get containers from Germany, and he said they are often "padded" with styrofoam. He speculates that they are just trying to dump it off on Americans because it is so hard and/or expensive to get rid of it over there.
And he's probably righrt as EU enviromental rules are much stricter and makes everything more expensive here.

There are so many great projects on this forum that use styrofoam....coffins, tombstones, facades, columns, etc. Guess it would depend on what you want to add to your haunt.

And if all else fails, I hear Canada is very nice this time of year :D

MsM

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I sent an email to the guy last night (to his CraigsList ad) but I haven't heard back from him. Where was he located in North Seattle? Do you think he maybe got rid of all the styrofoam already?

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
If the pieces are big enough, how about as facade for the front of your house, or a crypt for an fcg or prop, or yes of course some more tombstones.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our house is creepy enough as it is, a 1910 original, so I don't think the facade is worth the effort. Maybe a mausoleum. I have yet to build an FCG, and really don't know if I'll get to that this year--much to build, little time. Maybe one of those coffin ice chests would be a good idea, depends on what my hunny says, because that would be two coffins to build (and store :D). Maybe I'll turn the entire bed of my truck into a cooler, that would be sweet if not completely impractical. :eek:

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,067 Posts
About the well, yes, I was thinking along the lines of the Ring type well:

Haunters Hangout The Ring Well

The foam we got was not in nice neat sheets like they used in the project link, but I used bamboo skewers to create the rings of stones, (cut out a cardboard circle as a template) and I made three rings total and skewered them all together. I may use a little cheesecloth over the stones to make it hold together better before painting.

and what about:

Faux Fireplace in Haunted Basement

What about building a wall out of styro blocks to cover your garage front? I could see doing a creepy stone wall with barred windows, maybe with lights hidden behind and a few creepy arms reaching through...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
A light weight, facade wall that could have a large creature breaking through it. Or a facade ceiling, agqain with something crashing through it. Bob Burns once did a fake facade for his house with a spaceship crashing into it...
Mausoleum sounds like a good project.
Are they all sheets? I once made a (non-moving) transformer-style robot out of styrofoam packing sections that I pulled out of a dumpster. We used it for my wife's school haunted house walk-thru. With discrete lighting and some leds for the eyes it turned out pretty effective.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I built this out of styrofoam
DSC_0034-1 - HauntUniverse.com - The Haunt Industry Network

and this crypt,wall w/window,Fester,Wolfman,Dracula,Get A Life Tombstones
DSC_0050-1 - HauntUniverse.com - The Haunt Industry Network

This mini display,Think Spookytown
DSC03211 - HauntUniverse.com - The Haunt Industry Network

This bookcase and pedastal stand
DSC_0019-1 - HauntUniverse.com - The Haunt Industry Network

and these lantern columns are 80% foam