Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been brought up before, but I have a difficult decision this year. I am not able to get any time off work for the big day. I work in retail and have to open a new store on 11/1. Which means I will probably be stuck working on Halloween night and back in the morning about 4AM. I have plenty of people willing to help for the big show, but I am wondering if any of you have been in a similar situation.
I don't know if I should setup what I can knowing I may not be able to participate or if I take the year off and have a lot of disappointed people including myself or go give it hell and try to go all in.
I usually take a week or so off for setup and tear down, this year I will be lucky with one day off.
Anyone ever been here and what did you do?
Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Take care of yourself and don't feel bad about doing so. There's always next year and remember that it's just as important that you enjoy your big show as other people enjoying it.

I've read so many haunters mention that at some point life gets in the way and putting on their event turns into a stressful production instead of something fun. It would be a shame if it all added to your work stress, right? Reasonable people will understand and they should be grateful you've put it on for how ever many years you already have.

There's always the option of scaling down and setting up a mini display. At least that will be something so you hopefully won't feel like you sat out completely. When people ask, you can tell them you hope to return to the whole show in 2018.

·
The Ghost Host
597 Posts
aMake a giant tombstone with your haunt's name on it, with dates and a sign next to it 'rising from the dead 2018'
OKAY that is such a cute idea :D

I work in retail, too, so I understand how it goes. I'm VERY lucky to have gotten off the last week in October every year for...the past 6 years or so. October week 4 is the last official week someone can take PTO before the holiday season which black outs PTO until like middle of January.

I think if you're anything like me, going half assed will only make you feel worse. I say follow lilibat's idea or something similar...something that will be impactful, relevant to your haunt, and make an impression. Literally like just one tombstone with a light on it and maybe a jack-o-lantern while keeping the rest dark and muted.

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
I say do the parts that make you happy and don't worry about the rest. If you want to decorate your yard or porch or whatever, do just what you will enjoy throughout the month and be an easy cleanup when you get some time. Or just decorate inside for your own enjoyment. You could still have your helpers there on Halloween night handing out candy if you like. Nobody needs more stress in their life and Halloween should never be anything but fun. If it turns into work, it's not worth it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really like the tombstone idea! Actually planning on moving this winter also. Maybe a RIP haunt tombstone would work for me too. Makes it a little tougher knowing it could be my last year in this house, I have new neighbors already saying they have heard we do a setup. But big thanks you are all correct if it turns into work and is stressful its not fun anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts