Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got a question... and since I'm on here I figured that y'all would probably be the perfect people to ask. I've noticed over the last few years that there's a decent amount of aliens and all that associated with haunts and all.... what the heck is up with that? How did aliens become a part of Halloween?:confused:

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
We had this same discussion last year about pirates. It pretty much boiled down to "people like them and so that's what they use" I do a Victorian/Regency theme to my haunt and therefor I exclude anything from modern horror and slasher movies. It's all just personal choice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Halloween is a date, there is no reason to suspect that aliens do not exist on Halloween as on any other date. The same with pirates, I'm sure pirates were around on Halloween in the past, I can't see that they all died out for the day!

Modern day Halloween is associated with being scared in general, so if aliens scare you, why not add them? Equally spiders do not bother me, but they scare the heebie-jeebies out of some, so spiders are included!

Halloween is what you make it, from cutesy...through to a gore-fest!

·
Girl Gone Mad
1,638 Posts
I think it's just the fact that the thought and subject instills fear into the hearts and minds of people. Pirates were the terrors of the sea and could get really greusome. Aliens...who's not scared of being abducted and being apart of some weird experiment? (Not me because I'm not sure about Aliens but you know what I mean)

Besides for some reason they always like to intermingle science fiction with horror even if it's not the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts
So I've got a question... and since I'm on here I figured that y'all would probably be the perfect people to ask. I've noticed over the last few years that there's a decent amount of aliens and all that associated with haunts and all.... what the heck is up with that? How did aliens become a part of Halloween?:confused:
People fear the unknown.

I was going to say the movie Alien, but I'm sure it probably happened even before that. Blame the twilight zone.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hmmmm, alien space pirates that create spider eating zombies through their experimentation. I think I found next year's theme! ;)

Eric

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's all a part of the 'unknown'. When people don't know about something, it sometimes tends to scare them. Aliens have 0 effect on me because I don't think they exist (or at least haven't come around Earth). Spiders however...get me the heck out of there! Haha.

M

·
0 Posts
Great theme Wolfbeard :D

I get the whole if it's scary it's Halloween, but I just can't get into it. Nothing alien related is in any of my decor. My brain won't even allow the two to enter at the same time. It just isn't Halloween to me. Pirates...Arrr. I had one skeleton pirate for the TOTers at the height of the pirate craze, but he has since been cannibalized. Pirates I can see a little more than aliens because there are ghost ships and the haunted seas and all that so I can see how they ended up here...

But I will admit, Signs was a kickass movie...

·
Registered
145 Posts
When i think of aliens i also think of robots. Robots where popular when i was a kid . Come to think of it i have not seen any robots in a few years ..

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I like Aliens and would use a huge one if I could afford it. I'm not talking about the "little green men" though the thought of "probing" makes me squirm.

Years ago I used a grey squash, a plastic alien baby, black light, fish tank, and glow paint to have it come out of the top of the "alien egg". It was HUGE hit. I put it in our picture window that they had to walk by to get the candy.

Pirates don't scare me and I just see the cutieness of it. Though people in the past were deathly afraid of them. They were also afraid of the Vikings, Huns, Mongols, etc. etc. Since it's basically based on the time period and most of us know that swash buckers aren't around we have come to accept them as not being scarey. On the other hand, if I was running an oil tanker in the middle east I would be deathly affraid of pirates.

M

·
0 Posts
But you kinda have to love the irony of how these criminal, terrorizing, murderous, violent rapists somehow became ‘cute’ and a big hit for Disney. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree with the above posters and the idea that aliens are just generally kinda scary in theme even if not particularly 'classic' Halloween--the unknown and all that, reports of abductions, Area 51, etc. In the past my haunts often featured themes from scary flicks and there's plenty of scary sci-fi to pick from. To this day I think the alien from Ridley Scott's 'Alien'/'Aliens' is one of the most horrific movie monsters and I'd love to build one at some point (I'm not really a sci-fi fan either).

In a future haunt I plan to do an alien theme (not necessarily the Ridley Scott movie one but the little-green-men-from-Mars thing) and have a crash-landed flying saucer. Kinda a retro/50's feel to it. Just for kicks. lol

(a bit off-topic but I saw 'District 9' this weekend and *loved it*....now back to your regularly scheduled program....)

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm doing an alien theme this year. i just wanted something that was a real big departure from my usual spiders, bats and skeletons. Several years ago i did this prop of an alien and people really liked it. He's been put away for several years and last year a couple people asked about him so I decided to bring him back. Some people really get freaked out by aliens, me included! Green is ok, but the greys freak me out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The alien thing is just a theme, and it's been around for quite some time. It's not exactly archetypal when it comes to Halloween decor. It's basically the same as a doing up a dark Alice in Wonderland, or a mad scientist laboratory; not things that typically come to mind when you think of Halloween but pretty much have always been done. It's the idea of doing something different, if we didn't switch it up all our haunts would look the same...and that would just suck ass.

·
Registered
14,074 Posts
I remember seeing the movie Alien when it first came out. I remember the crew members going down into the ships bowels where all the pipes were and then suddenly you saw slime drop down from a pipe and then a split second later the Alien struck. Had me jumping out of the seat. I hated the way that thing looked. Absolutely gave me the creeps. Even the one X-File movie where the alien was down in the reactor room and suddenly struck. I think I screamed out loud in public! Great scene writing and effects no doubt but there's no way I would want to see either of those creatures climbing the stairs to our bedrooms. I think getting past the "do you believe?" stage and focusing on a terrifying being makes aliens a very good prop to use for Halloween. Sadly some people were so frightened by aliens being a reality that they killed themselves during the "War of the Worlds" radio show. Truly fear played into that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts