Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
This year I am doing an Alien Invasion. So far, I have built three cryo-chambers. My first a a roaring failure. After a redesign I came out with a prototype that makes me happy.
For my prototype I used wood I had on hand. The frame was made out of 2x2 and 1x2. It is 6 feet tall and 2 feet wide. Upon standing it up I noticed that the sides really needed filling in.
20170807_195620.jpg
So I added 2 2x4's and covered it with drywall compound to fill in the gap.
20170811_170321.jpg
I then painted it latex paint before spray painting the sides bottoms with gloss black. The back door was painted with gloss silver.
20170813_140427.jpg
The top and bottom were covered using FRP. Starting to look good. BUT, like I said this design was a failure. When I tried to bend the plexiglass I broke it. Tryed again, this time heating it with a heat gun and halfway through, broke it again!! That was when I realized I needed to do something better.
20170818_185202.jpg
So took all apart and redid it. It was much easier to bend the plexiglass this way.
20170821_075818.jpg
It is starting to look better. But like I said this is a prototype.
20170825_192010.jpg
Finally finished all three. Well, almost. Still have to add the lighting and pipes for the fogger. Then I realized, CRAP!!! the chambers were too small for the foam filled aliens I wanted to put in them.
20170902_161739.jpg
THe middle one has a shorter chamber because this was one of the plexiglass peices that I broke. I cut off the broken edge and formed it. I liked how it looked and moved forward with that design.

Now I am working on the UFO. There is a post here by I-Zombie who built a monster sized ufo. I am working on that now. WIll post pictures when as I get going. I am cutting it down a bit since my yard out here in AZ is a bit smaller.

Typical Ghoul Next Door
So sorry the first prototype didn't work out because it would have been great (there's a thin plastic sheeting material that I've come across sometimes at stores used as displays, but it likely wouldn't have been easy to come across cheaply)...

But your squared off cryotubes look fantastic! Glad you didn't get so frustrated you quit trying because after a failure is when the creativity and ingenuity starts to shine (VERY familiar with that myself! :D ).

Typical Ghoul Next Door
OH! And I just remembered a blog you have to check out:

http://davelowe.blogspot.com

Do a search for "alien" (this might work: http://davelowe.blogspot.com/search?q=alien) and you'll see some amazing ideas and he usually does include build how-tos as well. He's a professional haunter/prop master that loves Halloween, so his blog contains a TON of great ideas.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
That was what I was going to do. But getting three sonotubes meant I had to spend almost $250 each. This design only cost me $400 for all three. I searched craigslist for the plexiglass and found two 4x8 sherts for $150. The biggest cost was the copper gas line. After spening too much on it I settled on pvc for the rest and painted them copper. Hard to tell which pipes are pvc and which ones are real copper.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Started on the ufo. Was going to do it this way till someone said it looks like a diamond.
IMG_0281.jpg
So, I spaced out the ribs to get a more larger rounded ufo
IMG_0283.jpg
This is where I am laving off today. Will post more as I get closer to skinning it.

Registered
Wow great containment units. Love it.

When we did aliens what seems like a lifetime ago we had to do it on the really cheap for a non-profit with NO money. YES we started with the always mentioned sono tubes but the narrower off the shelf ones from Home Depot. Small aliens for us LOL. Cut a hole out just big enough for a clear dome cover from a store purchased pie to fit. Trimmed the hole with some pipe insulation then glued the pie cover in place. Covered the outside of the tube with silver car sun shades from the dollar tree. Hung a glow in the dark Alien mask behind the pie dome window and a black light above it. On the very top added a Dollar Store bowl over a flashing light. Cost us less then $30 for each one. Not state of the art but it gave us us the look we needed without too much expense.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Just noticed just how bad the sun is here in Arizona even in October. It is melting my insulation on my containment chamber. Need to find an area with more shade.

E41917C4-303D-4B30-A384-5F05BB874763.jpg

Registered
Those are really looking nice. Can't wait to see the full set up.

Just had a thought of something to use in place of plexiglass that might have worked on the rounded design of your first gryotubes. Clear shower curtains. Could have double stick taped them on or used staples, then trimmed them out to cover the edges and sealed them down better. Not sure if a shower curtain would have been too thin, but thought I would throw the idea out there anyways.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
That might have worked but with the heat and sun out here it would have browned. Good idea though. Will have to look into that for the topof the ufo.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
This is my first major Halloween build. Took two months to get everything built. Started in August and in Arizona that is moonson season. High heat and high humidity. Must have lost 10lbs working in the garage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts