Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TENTACLESETUP.jpg

Here is a simple drawing of the mechanism we used to create the movement. The bike cable crosses over at the top of the garden hose (which is the spine of the bug). When the wheel rotates, it pulls the cable in opposite directions. We have about 3 1/2 ft of cable from the wiper motor mech to the end of the bug larva. I will post a vid of the mech later today.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks That's very clever. 2 more questions. What is the body made of and is the container full of water or is that an illusio. In the vid it look empty nut the photo look full. Or it's my bad eyesight.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We made the body out of furniture (cushion) foam, and covered it with latex. We started by painting latex out on plexiglass and using a hairdryer to dry quick. We kept it all very thin to keep the movement where we wanted it. We then painted latex over the whole thing to seal it. The video has an empty tank, we did this for our district show, but filled with water when it came back to our shop. We filled the tank with a mixture of water and antifreeze. That combination had produced some very cool "skin flakes" that get stirred up when it begins to move. We have the bug movement on a switch, so that we can have it moving or static. Bought a very cool DJ water light projector off of Amazon for like $8, that is how we got the changing color effect.

We got the cylinder from Pat Catans (craft store) for $26.00. We wanted to use clear PVC, but the cheapest I could find was $345.00 a foot

Got our inspiration from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtTYKpKUHQo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts