Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Master of Scaremonies
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought we had one of these but anyways -

Here are the stories about alleged sighting of ABCs in the U.K. Weird stories and eye accounts........

Big cat conference (From Somerset County Gazette)

New big cat sighting - but do they exist? | KentOnline| News

'We watched beast for 30 minutes' - Whitby Gazette

Has Beast of Bevendean found new hunting ground? (From The Argus)

Dunfermline Press | News | Webcam set to snare 'Beast of Blairadam'

The discovery of an horrifically mutilated sheep carcass at Norton Bridge has strengthened claims a big cat could be on the loose in Stafford Borough.In recent weeks dozens of Post readers have contacted us, convinced they have seen a panther-like creature stalking the borough. Now Post reader Katie Hill has revealed her pet sheep 'Minnie' was found decapitated two weeks ago.

icStafford - Mutilated sheep spark new fear

Big cats caught on camera in Gloucestershire forest | The Sun |News

What do you all think? Any UK members see anything?

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Never seen anything myself Johnny, but as with all paranormal phenomena, there are plenty of "reliable" witnesses that claim to have. Everything from Lynx to Lions have been reported the length and breadth of the U.K

Back in the 1970's, before the introduction of the Dangerous Wild animals Act. it was considered quite avent garde to have exotic animals as pets. It's not inconceivable that escapees from private collections as well as those animals released into the wild when their owners realised they had more on their hands than they could cope with may have established small breeding groups.

One thing that puzzles me though is that if there are sufficient animals around to trigger the amount of sightings reported, how come nobody has ever found a carcass or any kind of remains? Still, I keep an open mind on the subject.

Check out this web site for a comprehensive list of ABC sightings, as well as other paranormal activity here in spooky old England.
The Paranormal Database - documenting paranormal stories and events throughout the UK and Ireland

·
Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
As one who regularly wanders the wilds in search of bones to put to use for Halloween, I can say this.

Predator remains (as a big cat would be) are rather rare to find, actually.

One finds prey remains all around, easily. Predators are a different story all together. I've found hundreds of cattle, deer, skunk, raccoon, and assorted small mammal skulls and bones in the last 10 years.

I have found 1 coyote skull. And THAT was only because I knew where that pack had their dens after years of watching.

Not at all surprised no one has found cat remains. There's an area we have dubbed cat canyon. We KNOW there's mountian lions in those caves. Can smell em, see their tracks, see their kills, etc. Heck, we've even seen live ones watching us pick through bones. But, never see any cat remains.

(yes, I'm insane. Big cats don't scare me.)

·
Master of Scaremonies
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I'm not an expert of course, but these look just like regular dog tracks to me...
big dog admittedly, but dog none the less.
They don't look unfeasibly large when compared to the human footprints alongside them in the second picture.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
It'll be interesting to see, If and when the photo turns up.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Agreed. I also subscribe to the theory that the recent severe weather across Britain would have made these animals venture further than normal in the quest for food, hence the recent increase in sightings.

·
Registered
257 Posts
This would include the Beast of Exmoor that prowls Devon and Somerset in England? I happened to catch a (Season 2?) episode of History Channel's "Monster Quest" about the big, black cat. Someone had actually caught footage of the cat. It was very compelling.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Indeed. Every county in Britain seems to have had at least one ABC sighting.
"The Beast of Exmoor" is one of the more famous and widely publicised ones.

There has been some video footage captured, of which there are arguments for and against, and the pawprints that have been found.

Judging by the amount of sightings, It seems highly likely that there are animals wandering around out there that shouldn't be. However, at the moment we are still lacking some irrefutible or tangible evidence.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
So...it still hasn't been IDENTIFIED?

Is it a breeding population, a could strays, etc?
Well, they've supposedly got this footage, but I haven't seen it. There was also a recent case of some black fur found near to a deer kill, but I haven't seen the results of any analysis on that..

ABC's have been reported from all areas of the U.K for well over 20 years.

My guess is that there are probably small breeding populations of several different species skulking around, judging by the diversity of witness descriptions. Although the official line is that these are isolated individuals, I don't really subscribe to that theory and don't see how they can realistically make that call.

·
Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
Well, let's just take an example of a cougar.

Life span there is 15-20 years. I don't have a problem believing 1 stray has been around for that long. Most species of big cats TYPICALLY can't inter-breed. Or, when they do, the offspring are usually sterile. Heck, a breeding hybrid population would be as big a news as anything. I'm just baffled that they haven't gone in there to trap and identify a confirmed sighting.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts