Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you have used acrylic paint with an airbrush? I have heard you can just apply warm water to dilute enough for use in the airbrush. Any experience with this?

·
Maniacal Imagineer
1,746 Posts
I use mostly acrylics. You can purchase airbrush ready paints at any Michaels or AC Moore in many colors. If you want to thin acrylics you already have, don't use water, the paint will lose it's adheasion by the time you get it thin enough. Use Airbrush Medium, also available most places acrylics are sold. Water is ok for quick cleaning between colors but use a good quality airbrush cleaner to properly clean your equipment before storage.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! I think I will try out one of those mediums. Already have a descent investment in acrylics that I would hate to go out and buy a whole separate set of paints just for this portion of the prop making process.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Here's another! I airbrush extensively on my small scale movie monster figures, but tend to use brushwork on my larger halloween props, using mainly shading and drybrushing techniques which I find better given the lighting and conditions they are to be viewed under.

Again, I will second (or third?) the advice from spookier on this one. If you just thin Acrylics with water the paint will lose adhesion and you'll just end up with a runny mess.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i just got started with my airbrush and still dont know much about setting up properly.

i bought createx opaque colors. looks like the non-acrylic kind. do these need to be thinned? i saw info on another website that said distilled water is ok for createx but i would rather take advice from people with experience.

just for later reference, what brand of paint and mediums do you guys use?

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
I use createx paints for my airbrush and as long as your PSI is high then you should be fine. I honestly do not know what my PSI is set at on my compressor but i want to say 45 PSI. I don't thin my paint at all and it comes out just fine.

If you are trying to airbrush and no paint is coming out try slowly raising the psi. If not you can slowly add reducer to the paint. I have done both but i find it easier to use a higher PSI.

I also use a Pasche dual action lever and i do a lot of small detail airbrushing (Taxidermy).

·
Registered
84 Posts
cool thanks for the info. still curious about what colors everyone else uses too.

...but i have another question too. i dont exactly have money to buy a compressor, and the little 9 oz. bottles of propellent are a little pricey as well. i heard on the internet that it possible to use CO2 bottles as propellant. i used to paintball pretty extensively so i have quite a few tanks laying around, and refills are only about $3 for a 20 oz. tank. has anyone heard of this and if so, does it harm the airbrush or gunk it up in any way?

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
Another airbrusher here, I do custom auto airbrush & use Createx AutoAir.
I starting using it for my halloween stuff & latex creatures.It is a lot better as it has a better adhere to non porous ,
reg createx was designed more for porous (T shirts,etc) You can add a LITTLE purified water if in a pinch,but sparringly.
filtering your paints is best especially with acrylics.Using proper reducers are best.AutoAir now has speed reducers in 3 types pending your temp.
Even though they come pre thinned & the co's are trying to supply it that way, most airbrushers have they're own preferences to they're mixtures as the play.
Problems with Co2 is after awhile you need to let things "defrost". I would save up for a small compressor.check your local auto parts store for $60. ,
they can have cheap little ones (not for tires) that will work,they just will kick on a lot more often.
& like spookineer said,clean that AB, nothing worse than trying to clean an airbrush with dried acrylics !!! Nightmare

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
i just got started with my airbrush and still dont know much about setting up properly.

i bought createx opaque colors. looks like the non-acrylic kind. do these need to be thinned? i saw info on another website that said distilled water is ok for createx but i would rather take advice from people with experience.

just for later reference, what brand of paint and mediums do you guys use?
All createx & AutoAir are acrylic. Also thinning depends on the needle & orfice size of the gun you are using.
Thinning alot is for super tight,hairline details at very low preassure (best used with gravity type AB)
I use Iwatia AB's & my micron AB i sometimes reduce 75 percent & spray at 4 - 5 & less psi barely an 1/8th away from the item.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool thanks for the info. still curious about what colors everyone else uses too.

...but i have another question too. i dont exactly have money to buy a compressor, and the little 9 oz. bottles of propellent are a little pricey as well. i heard on the internet that it possible to use CO2 bottles as propellant. i used to paintball pretty extensively so i have quite a few tanks laying around, and refills are only about $3 for a 20 oz. tank. has anyone heard of this and if so, does it harm the airbrush or gunk it up in any way?
An avid paintballer here as well. As you may or may not know a lot of people that are willing to invest a descent amount of money into paintball will go to the compressed air tanks. This is for two reasons, but they both revolve around the cold factor of C02. Being that when it becomes cold over heavy use your air starts to turn to liquid form. The first issue with this being that you start to lose accuracy and distance. And second, over time this can cause build up and damage the inside of your marker.

With that said, I would say using C02 would be worth a try. Im not so sure you have to worry about the damage element like you would a $300 marker, but you may find that your paint job becomes a bit uneven as your C02 becomes cold.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Im not so sure you have to worry about the damage element like you would a $300 marker, but you may find that your paint job becomes a bit uneven as your C02 becomes cold.
ah nice analogy. i got the image in my head now :)

ya i sold off my compressed air tanks after i hadnt gone paintballing in a span of about a year. still have CO2 tanks laying around so i figured i might have found a new use for them.

seeing as how i mostly intend to start out mostly with shading on my props then maybe work up to some big work later on, i think ill go ahead and try the CO2 method. mostly just to save money in the long run until i can save up for a compressor. ill just use it sparingly and watch my temperature. its usually pretty warm in california anyway :) thanks so much for the input tho. this has been a huge help.

·
Registered
84 Posts
All createx & AutoAir are acrylic. Also thinning depends on the needle & orfice size of the gun you are using.
Thinning alot is for super tight,hairline details at very low preassure (best used with gravity type AB)
I use Iwatia AB's & my micron AB i sometimes reduce 75 percent & spray at 4 - 5 & less psi barely an 1/8th away from the item.
wow so many numbers and figures :eek: lol. kinda sounds like it comes down to hands-on experience and personal preference.

well i guess ill dive head on into it and look back at these tips soon as i get some actual personal experience. thanks for the tips. ill check back in if i have more questions :)

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
wow so many numbers and figures :eek: lol. kinda sounds like it comes down to hands-on experience and personal preference.
Thats what it comes down to...practice, practice and practice some more.
Then, when you think you've got it down pat, keep practicing some more.

There's probably no two people use an airbrush in exactly the same way. Eventually you will find a set up and technique that suits you and the particular application you are using it for.

Best of luck, keep us posted as to how you're getting along.

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
Yep,when i started learning, i worked on understanding whatever i was pushing thru the airbrush,what tips & needles,air pressures & how to understand that most of the time it wasn't the airbrush having the problem,but lack of understanding (me).You can't beat practice, learn your basics of AB-ing, Most ABers ,as almost anything, Basics, then adjust to what works for you. You have some great ABers here that we would be more than happier to help answer Q's. Also visit a great mag with tips & tricks & a great forum to learn from ; Airbrush Action Magazine, Courses, Videos, Books, Books, DVDs, and Products- www.airbrushaction.com & if since your in Cali, these guys are great - coastairbrush.com
(my original teacher ,Craig Fraser)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts