Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed my husky 11 gallon air tank expired this january.

its in excellent condition. no signs of rust.

but to be safe I bought a new kobalt 10 gallon tank.
but it sounds like there were particles in the tank.

I took it back and got another. same problem..

is this going to be a problem finding an inexpensive tank w/o this issue.

are there any brands that are less likely to have this problem?

what about these expiration dates. its only 7 yrs old. and used maybe 4 times. do i really need to toss it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don't toss it. Worst case is the tank rusts through from the inside. It will then leak air and is junk. It will never "explode" on you.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Tanks are required to be hydrostatically tested. Hydrostatic testing of air tanks must occur every five years by a certified technician. The idea is to determine whether the tank is structurally sound and will not burst under pressure. During this procedure the tank is filled with water and pressurized to check the effects of higher pressures on the tank. It is an industry requirement in most countries to have tanks hydrostatically tested periodically. Some tanks have unlimited life spans and other may be limited to 10 years or 24 years (depends on the tank). You should not have problems with any brand that is tested.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sinistersid,
So if there is an expiration date, are you saying its time to have the tank hydrostatic tested???

All tanks are tested? If not how do you know if it has been tested?

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have three compressors of various sizes in my garage, i do bleed them regularly but have never had any problems with them. I have never seen one explode and, as fingers says, when they do fail, for the most part, they just leak in a thin area or rusted seam and all the air hisses out. My thoughts are, use it till it fails and then recycle it to the metal scrap yard. The air is usually 150psi and under anyway. I may be wrong but my largest compressor is quite old (maybe 10 years) and, with proper, regular maintenance, works like a charm......

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sinistersid,
So if there is an expiration date, are you saying its time to have the tank hydrostatic tested???

All tanks are tested? If not how do you know if it has been tested?
Yes. It is suppose to be tested by the expiration date. If it is a high pressure vessel that is being sold at Lowe's/home depot ect. Then yes it has been tested. It will have a stamped date on the cylinder/tank. That is the expiration date for the last hydrostatic testing. The reason for the testing is to ensure that it is structurally sound and will not explode. Will it explode if not tested?? Probably not. But that is not to say it won't or can't. To say it will "never" explode is not correct. Not every tank will slowly rust and just leak. Many things can affect the structural integrity of the tank. Dropping the tank, exposure to heat, painting with inappropriate substances can all affect the integrity of the tank. There is always a potential of having a catastrophic failure. Many different factors affect how a tank deteriorates over time. You just might have it filled to a pressure of 200 psi when it fails and it could seriously hurt someone. Pressurized gas expands to several hundred times it's compressed volume. I am not saying that this is what will happen, but it is a possibility. Every time you fill the tank it is stretching the tank. When it is tested, it is pressurized with water over the normal operating pressure of the tank. For example...a 300 psi tank will be filled to 500 psi with pressurized water while under water in a sealed chamber. Measurements of the stretching and return of the stretching to it's original state are taken. If the return reading are not with in normal limits ( with in 10% of it's original state ) the metal is considered not resilient enough and the tank will be destroyed by drilling a hole in it immediately after testing. I am not trying to scare you, but you need to be aware of the potentials that exist when dealing with compressed gas/air. If you don't get it tested, will it fail??? Probably not. But the federal regulation are that it is to be tested every five years.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well back to this issue of hearing particlles in the tank.

how much of a headache is it going to be finding one w/o this issue. I already found two.

really dont want to keep driving to various stores buying and returning.
if they are in stores they usually only have one.
already exhausted local options. without involving shipping

1 - 8 of 8 Posts