Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 yr-old Gemmy Pirate Skeleton ('Captain Jack Jangles') died last night. He's supposed to dance side to side by moving his hips, while his arms swing back and forth and his head and mouth move. I pushed him into the 3 ft position to transport from the kitchen back into my bedroom, and when I went to push back down on his shoulders again to bring him back up I heard an unusual loud snapping or cracking noise, THEN the normal noise of his legs unlocking. I brought him back up to 5 ft and turned him on. He danced for a second, then stopped when his hip moved to the left. His head and mouth (and the speaker) were still working, but his body and arms were stuck to the left and making a squeaky whirring noise.

I have NO idea what I did. Can anyone offer any insight as to what the problem may be and if it's fixable?

Here's some pictures of him.

Ignore the Crypt Keeper. He snuck his way into the picture and I didn't have time to cut him out.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Mechanical issues.

As a tech of some 50 years. I was taking stuff apart from the age of 7. All I can tell you is to diagnose a problem like this, you must see the mechanism involved. Once you expose the mechanical parts, you will need to disconnect the devices that create the movement first. This will allow you to manually move the parts. This way you can verify if the basic mechanical parts are still functional, or if you have damaged them. While the servos or motors are disconnected mechanically from the works, you can run the routine and see if the servos or motors run properly with no load.

From your description of the events, it sounds like you may have stripped some gears. Likely in a gearmotor or servo. I am not familiar with this prop, so I am only guessing.

You could uncover the mechanism and provide some pictures. This would help the more mechanically inclined of us to perhaps guide you in diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Thought I would relay what happened to one of my Talking Thru Boris skulls that I had out on my bed after getting it. It fell off the edge of the bed and the jaw dislodged when it hit the rug and when I tried to operate him it seemed stuck and the mouth no longer moved in proper conjunction with the sound. My husband was able to open him up and saw that something had shifted inside and this little string or banding that was connected to a motor had slipped off where it needed to be. He was able to reposition stuff and got it working again. Needless to say I was so happy. Hopefully something like that will happen to you.

BTW Gemmy does have a Customer Support area on their website. Here's a link for you:

Gemmy.com: Customer Support

It looks like a photo of your pirate under #3. You might also write to them under #7 Other and describe what happened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts