Halloween Forum banner

Should high-school age teens be allowed to Trick-or-Treat?

• Yes.

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • No.

Votes: 18 20.7%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
I have a mixed view on this. While I think anyone truly enjoying the night should be allowed to do it, more often than not kids over 14 or so are just out to be trouble. Also, since the night is REALLY for smaller kids, mixing the two can cause issues for the little guys.

I think they should transition from trick or treating to a party or something like that.

A ban? I dunno.

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
I don't mind teens and even adults coming through. For Teens I figure I would rather have them dressing up and going ToT than out egging houses and smashing pumpkins. Parents always get a piece of candy if they want one in my haunt as well. After all they are the ones bringing their kids around to ToT.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Anyone that comes to my door will be treated....many older kids have younger siblings and I'll treat them, same goes for parents. The bottom line is it's a holiday that spans the ages, do we tell anyone that they are too old for Easter or Christmas traditions?

Now to me personally, this is my holiday, I really enjoy it and want to pass along my enjoyment of it through my yard haunt and lavish some treats on those that stop by....memories of my youth, my dad and grandfather's decorations and later taking my younger sister around is why I do what I do and why I'm here in this forum. I'm hoping to create the same feeling in as many as I can, as those that catch the spirit will replace me in the future keeping "my" holiday alive!

Here ends mini rant, stepping off the soapbox and looking out for thrown tomatoes.....

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think that may be something to think about. In recent years we've had teenagers with no costume at all but carrying a pillowcase for candy knocking on our door for TOT. Not all but some.

I agree with this post. No constumes and pillowcases? I hate to give out candy to those kids, but if you don't, there going to possibly retaliate. It's not worth taking the chance!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,909 Posts
Anyone that comes to my door will be treated....many older kids have younger siblings and I'll treat them, same goes for parents. The bottom line is it's a holiday that spans the ages, do we tell anyone that they are too old for Easter or Christmas traditions?

Now to me personally, this is my holiday, I really enjoy it and want to pass along my enjoyment of it through my yard haunt and lavish some treats on those that stop by....memories of my youth, my dad and grandfather's decorations and later taking my younger sister around is why I do what I do and why I'm here in this forum. I'm hoping to create the same feeling in as many as I can, as those that catch the spirit will replace me in the future keeping "my" holiday alive!

Here ends mini rant, stepping off the soapbox and looking out for thrown tomatoes.....
No tomatoes here... completely agree.

I don't care if they have no costume and are using a Wal-Mart bag for their treats, they get no mean comments from me and always get candy. I don't mind adults either - heavens know I like my candy too! ;)

Every kid, teen or adult that you turn away with no treats has that much less good feelings for the holiday, and will grow to think that it is just for kids... and frankly as much as kids enjoy it, adults that have the spirit have WAY more fun with it.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I think the teens should be allowed to TOT. I get a lot of teens, mostly close to or after the official TOT hours. They are very easy to scare, even with a simple BOO! Some are even scared to actually approach and stay back from their group. I really don't want any trouble or vandalism so I wouldn't want to turn them away. There are usually some roaming groups of teens out and I don't know if they've actually come to my house or not, but the ones who have come have been polite. Some of the teens come earlier and are taking their younger siblings and try to refuse candy for themselves, but I usually get them to succumb to a glow bracelet anyway. I enjoy all who come to my home on Halloween, costume or not, as long as they are there in the right spirit.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I enjoy decorating and making the yard spooky to get the reactions from young and old. I don't care as long as they're not being rude and having fun. There was a group of teen boys last year that as soon as they turned the corner and saw me standing in front of the door dressed as Jason jumped back and waited until the entire group was together before they had enough guts to come to the door. They all got their candy and went on their way and I got a good laugh.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anyone who comes to my house on Halloween will get a hearty "HAPPY HALLOWEEN" wish and a goody (or two)....I don't care if they have on costumes or are 70 years old :) Who am I to judge......there is enough of that the rest of the year. For me and my family, Halloween is a time for fun and festivities for all ages. Come one, Come all....I HAVE CANDY!!!!! Ha! Ha! Ha!...I am getting GIDDY as Halloween nears :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
After 14 or 15, its time to hang it up. I went until I was 14, but by then I was 6'3" and could do a great Lou Rawls, so I started to feel a little silly around the 6 & 7 year olds.

However, that's just the way I looked at it when I was a kid. Now, if someone has a beard and three kids, but has the gumption to dress up and ring my doorbell, this guy gets a Snickers and a smile from me anyway.

I have to add that I hate those lazy teens that don't dress up too. I still give them candy so they won't do something to my house later if I don't. I really hate doing that. I would love to refuse them and give a little slap in the head for being lazy, but my property and dog outside would probably be better off if I just grin and bear it. I am only 28 and in great shape, so I could run them down and probably take 2 or 3 at once. But, I can't protect my house every night. Its sad that I have to think that way, but I digress...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I don't mind teens and even adults coming through. For Teens I figure I would rather have them dressing up and going ToT than out egging houses and smashing pumpkins. Parents always get a piece of candy if they want one in my haunt as well. After all they are the ones bringing their kids around to ToT.
Hah, I often give candy to the parents as well. They're always so surprised but you can see they're also sort of delighted. It just brings back memories for grown-ups. You know and I know that any grown-up can pick up a bag of stale Mary Janes if he or she wants to. "Getting" candy really isn't the point. Many teens can get their own candy, too. It's more the fun of just being out and recalling younger days.

I think that may be what teens do like about TOTing. They know they're growing up and they're just holding on to this one last "silly" thing. They're not old enough to own their own houses to decorate and there isn't always a teen Halloween "party" going on so this is what some teens do.

I've never had a disrespectful teen at my door.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here’s my situation, we get over 1200 TOT, and this year being it’s on a Friday we’re anticipating even more. My rule is every kid or everyone that comes to my door with a costume on gets a treat. For the teens / adults that come to the door without one, I’ll tell then flat out “No costume, no treat”. We have to draw the line somewhere. To me, when they come to the door without a costume on, they’re really not into the “spirit” but rather just looking for loot. I’m not trying to be mean, but come on, we spend a lot of money on candy alone so if we’re willing to spread the spirit so should the TOT’s.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would never turn anyone away.
I have gotten some of the best reactions from teenagers. They are truly excited and interested in all the effort and detail I put into my haunt. They want to come in again and again and to be honest, most of them could care less if I give them a treat. They are just hyped on the experience.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would agree the teens have given me the best reactions! Most younger kids just want the candy and to move to the next house. Also, what I love is just when I think the night is over and I have to start picking up. The Teens start showing up and I get another hour of enjoying all the hard work I put into decorating my house. And do we really want to start carding kids for trick or treating. I can see it now. Doorbell rings. Open door. Strange looking creatures yell out "Trick or Treat" person opening the door says "ID PLEASE"..... Kind of ruins the whole thing................

·
Registered
814 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with them TOT....in fact most of the ones that come to our house are very courteous and complimentary about our Halloween decorations...:)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I personally don't agree with it. I do have to admit I wasn't happy when I had an older boy walk up to the door with no costume and smoking! My response to that is I was cheap..only gave him one piece of candy, all small one too. lol

The hubby and I actually look forward to the older kids. We have a blast scaring them, not too bad of course and we judge their reaction so they don't get TOO upset.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
Heck no... I trick-or-treated up until college :D
when we moved out to wy, to my delight the neighbors next door suggested we dress up and go around to houses and tot, introduce ourselves. we also took a treat along with us and gave them one back.

good for you dead ted, the night belongs to the young at heart

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
I personally don't agree with it. I do have to admit I wasn't happy when I had an older boy walk up to the door with no costume and smoking! My response to that is I was cheap..only gave him one piece of candy, all small one too. lol

The hubby and I actually look forward to the older kids. We have a blast scaring them, not too bad of course and we judge their reaction so they don't get TOO upset.
uuhhmmm, the cig would be a deturrant, i wouldn't like that. i would have to say something there. i would do it nicely but something.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't have a big problem with teens TOT. I do however have a problem if their not in costume. I've thought in years past to put up a sign stating " NO COSTUME, NO TREATS ". I haven't done it yet. Might next year depending on how this year goes.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts