Halloween Forum banner

Should high-school age teens be allowed to Trick-or-Treat?

• Yes.

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • No.

Votes: 18 20.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
S. Illinois city bans teens from trick-or-treating

This article talks about a town in Southern Illinois that has banned older teens (9th grade & up) from Trick-or-Treating. While I don't like the idea of anyone being barred from participating in Halloween traditions, in this day & age, I think this is a good position.

What say you?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,855 Posts
I don't agree.

Anyone that wants to TOT should be allowed.

As long as they are not damaging property or being rude, I don't have a problem with any age TOT at my house.

I've had teens that were at least 14 or 15 years old every year. They wear costumes - sometimes pretty amazing ones and are always polite and they look like they are having fun.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I am sad to see that they are not allowing teenagers to TOT. I am not normally one to be ok with setting a limit of time curfew for TOTing, but I can see if they are having a problem then maybe not after 9 pm. That's really not stretching it so bad, and there is still plenty of dark to TOT before then. They should not take the fun of the holiday away by saying no they can't TOT at all. I for one TOT'd until I was 15 or 16, and those are still some of the best memories of my life and time with my mom as well. I don't think they should take that away from kids. They are already taking away enough of their childhoods, and making them grow up too fast.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
I'd be curious as to the reasoning behind the decision. If the town was having a lot of trouble with teens and vandalism, etc, then maybe it was warranted. Personally, I think anyone who wants to celebrate Halloween by TOT'ing should be able to. I do have issues with some adults who come for handouts, but teens, in my book are for the most part a fun bunch on Halloween. You can pull out all the stops on scares, most are respectful and appreciative, and in many cases make up a considerable portion of your TOT numbers. My two oldest went out with their friends until 9th grade and they all loved it. They didn't get into trouble and really enjoyed their last year as a "kid" on Halloween.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I don't mind the teens. Here, they are mostly rural farm kids and are very respectful. I just don't give them the same treats I give the younger TOTs. Older kids get bags of chips usually. Little kids get toys or king sized candy bars.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
If the problem is being afraid of opening a door after 9PM, then they should just enforce the curfew better. They obviously don't mind the expenditure of having a number of enforcers out since they said that's what they'll be doing anyway.

As far as Halloween being "for very young children," this site itself pretty much proves that it isn't. Have any of us outgrown Halloween yet?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I dont care if you are 4 or 40. If you are wearing a costume you get a treat

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
I'm with Mangler, you have a costume, you get a prize. We do a "Raffle", with people reaching into a cauldron to pull out a ticket with a prize printed on it. It IS a little silly, however, when a 40-year-old parent wins a coloring book. But, hey, it's Hallowe'en!

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,182 Posts
banning teens from participating in halloween could lead to teens not enjoying halloween any more..... that means less people growing up loving the holiday... that means less haunters...

i agree with the costume = candy statement. if they put effort into what they wear, i have no problem with it. i think teens can do better than what i've seen them do.

common teen 'costumes' i see every year:
goth/emo kid.... too easy
poor attempt at cross dressing... kinda sad
burglar.... like goth but with a stocking and a wrench
shirt that reads 'This is my costume'....l a z y

teens need more encouragement to actively participate in the holiday, not to be told they are too old and they should find something else to do while everyone else is having fun.

as for late night ToTing.... maybe that's a hint that the 5pm-7pm or 8pm rule isn't working.
and if its that much of a problem make a sign on your door saying 'I only hand out candy at these times.'
i'm pretty sure its not that hard to do.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I believe that the Halloween spirit and traditions should be enjoyed by everyone regardless of age. Why does our world have to shun teenagers from almost everything? In todays world teens are already having to grow up "way to fast" they have pressures and stressors that were unheard of years ago. It seems like they're either being told that they are too young to do something or too old, and then we wonder why we have teens with so many problems, where are they suppose to go,? what are they suppose to do? Just when do they get to feel that they fit in "especally at an age when many already don't feel they fit in in some form or another"... It's like our society wants all teens to live underground and not come up until adulthood...Doesn't it seems unfair that it's ok to celebrate Halloween when your a child cause you're a child, and then when you're an adult, what cause adults need to learn to have more fun and be more childlike to reduce stress? Many of us adults forgot how to have fun, yet we are breeding generations of the same problems. So what, do teens have to wait until they are adults and are told by a Psychiatrist that they need to relearn how to have fun, let their hair down, be a child once in awhile? Why do we live in a world that stigmatizes teens so terribly? Why can't we help them to embrace what should be a memorable time in their life.
And we wonder why there is so much destructive activity on Halloween, could it be that society is creating this behaviour by the maliciousway in which we seem to view and treat teens? Expect the worst=Get the worst?
I feel if we foster a more positive regard towards teens, we will reap what we sow.
I personally love the teens at Halloween "and yes I get all the so called Troubled teens" because I chose to see the good in them, especally the ones who don't see it in themselves. I have an appoach and philosophy that I take to heart with them and I've seen the most hardend teens come around, and I've never had any problems with them stealing or vanalizing anything, respect, understanding and Compassion breeds more of the same it seems.
I don't care how old someone is when they come to my door on Halloween so long as they are in costume "and some of my teens who live in severe poverty/ terrible home situations have come on Halloween in the most creative outfits" and yep, they not only get treats, but for them I always have a little something extra...

·
Registered
814 Posts
High schoolers, no. Its time to grow up. Adults bother me too who ask for candy for the same reason. If they are with their kids, the reward should go to the kids in my opinion.

I have no problem with adults dressing up but asking for candy? no, can't agree.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
I think that may be something to think about. In recent years we've had teenagers with no costume at all but carrying a pillowcase for candy knocking on our door for TOT. Not all but some.
i think i would say, uuhhmm, no costume so give me a song or poem, just something to be wth the spirit

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
I dont care if you are 4 or 40. If you are wearing a costume you get a treat
i agree mostly. i don't care if they are 2 to a hundred, they get a treat. i have a couple of friends that went trick or treating and got chewed out for being to old. they were both tall for their ages and were only 9 years old. the one friend it was the only time he ever got to go and it was the first house. he was scared to go to another house so left the rest of the kids and went home. he was always bummed he didn't get to have the fun. i felt so sad for him i decided it's an inexpensive night and it's fun for all. but, i want a trick for a treat, and no costume ranks a really good trick like a funny halloween joke.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
I'm with Mangler, you have a costume, you get a prize. We do a "Raffle", with people reaching into a cauldron to pull out a ticket with a prize printed on it. It IS a little silly, however, when a 40-year-old parent wins a coloring book. But, hey, it's Hallowe'en!
are you kidding, i still love to color. i sit right down with my grandkids and indulge

·
I'll get you my pretty!
550 Posts
i do think if they have made an effort costume wise - they deserve a treat so i do give them out. but if i think the costume has no effort then i tell them so & say no. on saying that i know a lot of the kids & my daughter who is 17 knows even more - so we kinda decided from that - every year i make up more bags & every year i run out & have to turn a few away - but i do it nicely & remind them to come earlier next year!

most of the youngest ones are round earliest with their parents - so they tend to get theirs anyway :)

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
They are gonna do something during that time.Better to have them TOT then destroy stuff or bother the little ones trying to enjoy it.Just enforce the cerfew.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts