Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Cackling Cauldron
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help for some chains I'm making from that black pipe insulation. I've got it all cut up into these great chain links and now I want to give it a nice 100 year old look. Would love for the finish to look like the chain had been sitting undisturbed for ages...dusty and rusted threw in places. I'm hoping to get a very realistic look. not to over the top. Any recommendations or thought??

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
The one piece of advise that keeps popping up here is low light and darkness is our friend. We all perceive rust differently as it seems no 2 pieces of metal rust the same way. I can achieve rust the way I like it ,with several different colors of spray paint. Plus, the most wonderful tool in our decorating arsenal, is the human mind. Meaning the people who come to see your display. If your chains SUGGEST that they are rusty, the human brain will fill in the blanks for you, and they WILL BE rusty chains in their minds. There is really no tried and true way with Halloween decorations - take all the advise you can find, and experiment, experiment, experiment. Trust me, what looks good to you, WILL look good to others. Good Luck!
HM

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
The one piece of advise that keeps popping up here is low light and darkness is our friend. We all perceive rust differently as it seems no 2 pieces of metal rust the same way. I can achieve rust the way I like it ,with several different colors of spray paint. Plus, the most wonderful tool in our decorating arsenal, is the human mind. Meaning the people who come to see your display. If your chains SUGGEST that they are rusty, the human brain will fill in the blanks for you, and they WILL BE rusty chains in their minds. There is really no tried and true way with Halloween decorations - take all the advise you can find, and experiment, experiment, experiment. Trust me, what looks good to you, WILL look good to others. Good Luck!
HM

Sage advice, Hallo. The one tip I'll add is to mix sand and/or sawdust in with your paint to get a realistic rust texture.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thanks Pumpkinhead - I did forget the part about the sand - it's very important for the authentic look. For those that "spray on" the rust like I do, you can add the sand one of two ways (that I know of) I've used the 777 spray adhesive before I paint, and add the sand to that and let it dry - or - I have tried to add the sand to wet spray paint as I add the different colors. Both ways ways result in different textures. The sand you use will also make a difference. I use the sand from the dunes here in Nevada, but after I move to Idaho, I think I will just buy the play sand at HD or Lowes.
granger, I re-read your post, and as for the dusty look? Fine lite brown dirt. We have "bug dust" here in Nevada, which is like sifted flour - just brown (but don't bake with it) so you might get the same results sifting dirt with a cheap strainer.
HM

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yeah, the guy that made the video has a few other faux metal video tutorials that are just as great. He's a new favorite of mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts