Halloween Forum banner

aging glass?

4040 Views 18 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Andy_Industries
Hi! ok so browsing through here, i'm definitely going to need a bigger kitchen and bathroom for all of the potion bottles you guys have inspired me to make :D
i was wondering if you guys could help me brainstorm how to age new glass? i have lots and lots of bottles i've found at yard sales this summer, but most of them have shiny new glass and it's really not the look i'm going for. I love "sick" glass- glass that's so old it's mottled white and dull. i have tried flat white paint, diluted flat white paint, but it just doesn't look right. I'm going to try the glass etching stuff next with a sea sponge, i'll be sure to report back on how that works. any other ideas? they don't all have to be white...grungy, dirty looking glass would work too. any thoughts?
Thanks!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
393 Posts
Old jars

I worked on a few smaller jars I happened to have laying around and here are the results.

Blank jars:

View attachment 5761

Here are the finished jars:

View attachment 5762

Some small beakers I also "aged":

View attachment 5763

From left to right, these are the steps I used to age my jars. I had various results and opinions of each.

Jar 1: I used diluted black acrylic craft paint (just mixed with water) and swished around. I would let it dry and do it again until I got results I wanted. Don't think I like this one much. :(

Jar 2: I dripped white candle wax to give it some depth in areas but figure this won't matter if you are going to burn a candle in it. Then took some black paint and dribbled it down the sides.

Jar 3: I put Elmer's glue on the outside of the jar and let dry. I then took dark brown acrylic craft paint, watered it down. I got a medium sized bushy brush and let it soak up the pain then dribbled all down the jar and let dry.

Jar 4: I did the same as #3 except I splattered the inside with dark blue and red paint before the steps in #3.

For both beakers I used the same process as in Jar 3 and used a mix of black, green and red for the darker beaker. I think this is the process I like best :) although I think I need to find a way to seal it. Not sure how since the glue moves when you get it wet again.

· Registered
393 Posts
Ironically, one of our 3 cats (the all black one...go figure :rolleyes: ) jumped up on my counter knocking off all but the two brown ones that I liked. What are the chances of that??

Been wanting to try a few other ideas but with so much to do I've been doing a little of this and a little of that everywhere.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.