Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got several pieces of primary colored tissue paper (gift wrap/stuffing type), and I'm wondering if it's possible to "age" or "fade" the colors so that they're a little more vintage looking.

I considered spritzing them with a mist of tea, but I'm afraid it will just ruin them, as thin as they are.

I don't think I have enough time to just set them out in sunlight to fade them that way, although I do have a lamp that mimics sunlight, which I could leave on continually. I just don't think it would be enough, being just a lamp.

I need them for part of a project for my Secret Reaper, so that's why I'm short on time with the fading method.

Any thoughts on how to lighten the colors quickly? Would regular sunlight be enough in just a few days?

Thanks!

·
Registered
423 Posts
You could use some distressed ink on them. JoAnn has Holtz distressed ink pads for under 5 bucks and some great colors too. I have a honey and a vintage pad that is phenomenal for aging papers.
I've got several pieces of primary colored tissue paper (gift wrap/stuffing type), and I'm wondering if it's possible to "age" or "fade" the colors so that they're a little more vintage looking.

I considered spritzing them with a mist of tea, but I'm afraid it will just ruin them, as thin as they are.

I don't think I have enough time to just set them out in sunlight to fade them that way, although I do have a lamp that mimics sunlight, which I could leave on continually. I just don't think it would be enough, being just a lamp.

I need them for part of a project for my Secret Reaper, so that's why I'm short on time with the fading method.

Any thoughts on how to lighten the colors quickly? Would regular sunlight be enough in just a few days?

Thanks!

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I will have to see if I can find a tutorial to make some, maybe. I've seen tuts for similar sounding inks. I'm not able to get out of town until October, by the looks of things. Our tiny little town has no craft stores, just a Walmart with a very poor selection!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Not sure where you are... But if its sunny at all in your area, what about laying sheets on the dashboard and rear window of your car?
I've forgotten stuff in there and it fades in no time. The heat and the sun magnified by the windshield.

Good luck.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! I guess if all else fails, I will just tape a few pieces to the top portions of our house windows and see how faded they get. I don't know what else to do with them besides spritz them with "something" and hope they don't tear or get globby. If this doesn't work, perhaps a roll of crepe paper might be better, since it's a little thicker. I think I need wider pieces, though.

What I'm wanting to do is make a "suncatcher" of sorts, with six small round glass disks--like from small picture frames, with vintage-colored translucent paper between sets of two disks, with a black silhouette on the back side of at least the "front" glass against the paper; glue the "edges" of the glass disks together, then wrap silver jewelry chain around the glued sets (or maybe black satin ribbon), and hang them in a horizontal dangle of three frame sets:

O
O
O

However, I thought that the glass pieces would be easier to find than they have been online. When I go back out tomorrow, I'll have to scour the dollar stores for round picture frames with real glass, or at least real plexi. I have all of the other items onhand, and I could buy glass or plexi and a cutting tool, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Cool concept, but I'd be worried that the tissue would continue to fade (since it will be a sun catcher.) What about painting the areas with Elmer's glue/craft paint instead? Like the tinted mason jars you see online? It would still be translucent but should hold the color.

I made over some exterior lights about 8 months ago and used that mix to faux-amber the glass. It's held up.

Attachments

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks great! I'm really just looking at making it suncatcher style...not necessarily making a real suncatcher for a window. I was picturing it hanging nearer to a wall, than to a window. That's what I'd do with it, but I can't be sure what they'll do with it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with MC Hauntdream on painting the glass. Do like they do with the mason jars. Tint Mod Podge with food coloring, paint fairly thick layer on the glass (at this point it will be a milky pastel color), bake in oven at 200 til clear, 45 min to an hour. Take a look at this site for better instructions. If you want a hazy look to the glass just use white glue tinted to the color of your choice and let it air dry.

http://www.hometipsworld.com/how-to-make-rainbow-colored-mason-jars.html

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like that, too. I'm wanting it to have a less see-through look, and hope that what I have pictured in my head will work. I like the old pressed flowers on crepe paper/tissue look, and that's kind of what I was going for.

I'm having so much trouble finding the glass, that I may not be able to make them for this at all. It's not easy for me to go out shopping for supplies when I have about one hour, two days a week that it's possible, and so few places to go in that little amount of time. I may have to settle for a glass cutter and sheet of glass/plexi at Home Depot, yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts