Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I thought of putting this in the tutorial section for help but, didn't think everyone wanted to know to get this done. I'm having problems aging a silk beaded wedding dress I picked up. I know that tea or coffee should be used but, this thing is HUGE. I saved up about 14 pots of coffee grounds and put the dress into a huge tub with water with them. I've soaked it for about a week now. Then I went and looked up the process and it says to boil the water and soak the material in the water. Well, that isn't going to work since I would have to build a bonfire to do it, and I've already used all the grounds. Any suggestions that might speed this along? Should I just empty most of the water and add str8 coffee?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry I forgot to mention that the coffee grounds had already been brewed. Should I use fresh and just have my hubby kill me? lol

·
black light queen
2,506 Posts
uncertain if this will give u the effect u want ... have you cconsidered spraying the dress with coffee? possibly saving up a large stash of used grounds and boiling them might extract sufficient color for the spraying ... some tea could b added ...

or find a mud puddle and let u r inner child out!

amk

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've always used strong coffee or tea and just soaked the garment in the sink for a good long while. I actually find tea works better - just more work than recycling leftover coffee.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the help. I think it might be a blend but, I'm not sure. It's got a glossy look, feel so I figure either silk or poly. For all I know it could be satin. I really don't want to stick my hands into the coffee to find out. lol I think I'm going to have to pull it out though and try the hot coffee/ tea trick. It's been in there for so long without any results. I stir it every day with a broom but, I can tell it's not really changing color at all.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Are you wearing a witch hat while stirring it? :) Just kidding.

I've had the best luck aging fabric with strong tea, but coffee has worked for me as well. Also, I've never tried to boil the fabric. How tinted is your water? If it's pretty pale, your dress might not pick up enough color to see. You might try soaking a small, hidden section in strong coffee and tea to see if it will even pick up the color at all. If it does, go buy a small can of the really cheap, nasty-tasting coffee and boil up a big pot to pour over it. You don't need enough to float the dress in. Just enough to saturate it completely. If it doesn't pick up the color, you can always drag it around in the dirt.

Please post pictures after you age it!

·
Registered
194 Posts
What are you trying to make the ages dress look like? Seems odd to have soaked it for a week with no staining. Have you tried RIT die? Maybe do a test section for a couple of minutes?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts