Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to start a discussion about aging techniques, and more specifically bring the Hudson pressure sprayer to the forefront.

07101655000.jpg

That is a Hudson pressure sprayer, for those unfamiliar. Aside from it's intended industrial/garden uses, you can fill it with a mix of paint and water, pump it up and spray to your paint mixture onto walls, props, etc. to give a more natural aged look.

It's a great tool to have in your kit when it comes to aging, especially if you work alone. I know some people like to age wall panels by running a band of full strength paint at the top of the panel and then spraying it with a hose or spray bottle. Which is great, but if you're by yourself, can be a race against the clock. The sprayer method allows you to be a bit more control and allows you to be subtle with the aging, which can be a big plus since we all know that once you've gone too far, there's no way to go back unless you want to start from scratch.

Here's an example of using a pressure sprayer to age (skip to 7:21):

In the video, Jeana (one half of Hollywood Haunters) demonstrates her technique and discusses how she does multiple coats to get the desired result. She's used a pressure sprayer on almost all of the aging that she's done on video and has had some amazing results.

So what are some of your favorite aging techniques?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I find that the sprayer is great for background aging like water stains on brick, black mold on wall paper, etc. But to do patches and details like patches of green mold, I find the best distressing is to use a watered down paint and a sea sponge that has been torn up (to get rid of any harsh lines that don't look natural) and use a combination of stippling and removing some of the paint with a damp sponge with the same texture. You can layer over it with other colors if you desire. One thing to remember though when doing mold or distressing a human eye can detect patterns very very well. You want to attempt to disguise this as much as possible ie make it look natural.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,076 Posts
Right now the idea is to cover my indoor walls (about 3) with this cheap clear contact paper that I found that doesnt stick well,which is great so it ruin my walls. All these rooms for the party are dimly lit so the hopefully the imperfections will be less obvious when I start distressing and adding mold. I was thinking of spraying and then immediately sponging with some added joint compound (for texture) and spraying again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ooo, I like the way you think with the compound. Not sure but you could even add paint to the texture in small batches. Kind of takes the work out of painting over a white surface ya know? Good luck, let us know how it works out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Keosilver
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing