Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When my family moved into our historic Olympia house in 1996, we had no idea that our haunt would eventually spawn a huge Halloween celebration! After joining forces in 2002, my haunting partner Eric and I really began to expand our cemetery haunt. Today, that haunt, The Agatha Smith (Elysium) Cemetery along with The Pumpkin House and The Pirate House all anchor the Halloween festivities for the entire South Capitol Historic Neiborhood. These haunts, along with the Samba OlyWa "BoneGang" drumers who march around the neighborhood and dozens of historic homes all decked out in their goulish best, now welcome thousands of visitors on All Hallows Eve. Our haunt alone now welcomes upwards of 2000 TOTs each year!

One of the most rewarding aspects of our haunt's modest fame has been the dozens of visitors who have shared with Eric and I how much they appreciate our haunt and often we hear from visitors that they visited us when they were children or grandchildren, and now they are bringing their own children/grandchildren to our haunt. We even have regular visitors who come from hundreds of miles away to see the haunt each year! It is very cool to have built something that matters to so many in our community. Now our neighborhood's celebration really feels like a throwback to the Halloween's of the past!

If you are in the area, we hope you will bring your family to the Historic South Capitol Neighborhood in Olympia for Halloween this year!

IMG_2686.JPG

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I always dreamed about having a haunt where the block is excited and everyone decorates. I can't even get everyone to hand candy out! I know all the neighbors think they broke me especially after what we had last year and the fact that everyone goes to town now....I have to give this some serious thought.....first I gotta figure out how to stay well before Halloween gets here......maybe they would all come back if we did our haunt on a different night right next to Halloween. Gonna start writing some ideas down...........I know Jer & Joe always get nervous when I start carrying a tablet around or getting up in the middle of the night telling them>>>>>I HAVE AN IDEA!!!!!!! They know that means trouble!

204 Posts
Soooooo very COOL!
Glad to see that others LOVE to carry on the Tradition of Halloween.
Traditions are slowly being taken away from us, and its people like you.....that try your best to keep them going.
Everyone should be doing the same, as opposed to leaving it all up to just a few.
GOOD ON YOU!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Awesome!! That's a great turnout! It looks like you are on a fairly busy road with a bus line, which I am sure helps a bit. It's so nice to hear people's nice comments about your display. I know we are making special memories for many kids out there. One year, a kid actually mentioned that he liked our new props, which made me smile!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome!! That's a great turnout! It looks like you are on a fairly busy road with a bus line, which I am sure helps a bit. It's so nice to hear people's nice comments about your display. I know we are making special memories for many kids out there. One year, a kid actually mentioned that he liked our new props, which made me smile!!
We are on the main drag for sure, just a few blocks up from the state capitol campus. If I lived on a cul de sac someplace I probably wouldn't have gone to these lengths. The community response is really rewarding now and keeps us going!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts