Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a Pepper's ghost a couple years back and it was acceptable, but not great. The problem is that the projector I used just wasn't nearly bright enough. When I priced out higher lumen projectors I came away with some serious sticker shock - $400+. Anyone have any ideas that won't break the bank?

·
Registered
668 Posts
eBay. My first projector from eBay was a 3100 lumen projector for under $100 bucks. While it was listed as used, it had zero dust and scratches on it (even the inputs where dustless and scratch less) and only had 5 hours of use on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had checked out eBay at the time, but didn't find anything. It may have just been the timing of when I looked

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yeah. I watched they projector I currently use for months. A Ben-Q mx 880ust. Saw it for around $350 manufacturers refurb. When I went to pull the trigger, all I could find was $700 ones. I eventually went direct to their site and picked it up for around $500. It may take looking daily for quite some time, but you will eventually find a great deal on one that will fit your needs.

·
black light queen
2,506 Posts
check out woot link=> http://electronics.woot.com/plus/projectors-accessories-2?ref=gh_el_2_wp_2

a lot of the stuff is sold out ... but most/all of it comes back for sale again ... just keep checking

remember to take the lumen output with a grain of salt ... if you find something that looks good, do a google search and look for reviews ... and remember that you probably don't need super resolution ... high res & high lumen = high $$$

good luck

amk

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
No doubt you can get great deals on ebay but this is one item that may or may not be worth buying used. The lamp is the high ticket component of any good projector and they only last so long. You really have no idea how many hours are on a used projector and if you have to replace the lamp you haven't saved much. Just something to keep in mind when shopping around.

·
Witch Of The West Coast
1,752 Posts
I am currently waiting for a Mitsubishi I bought on Ebay. It has 2400 lumens and I got it for 250. Keep an eye out, you'll find one :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah, this is one item where buying used from ebay is probably the best way to go. You have to be patient but you can get good deals on very good projectors. I got mine for $60. It had no cords or remote, I had to buy separately, but total cost was under $100 for everything. Buying a projector new you'll have to compromise on either quality or price, there's no simple way to get a good price on a high quality projector. Best way to save is to buy used.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your advice everyone! I went back to eBay again and was able to find a factory refurbished ViewSonic 2700 lumen projector with a brand new lamp for $150.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I splurged a little and bought an Acer HB5380. They compare it to $1500 competitors and I got it on sale at newegg for $399. I currently have it in my house shotting a 100" in 720P and it looks fabulous. 3000 Lumens, 3D capability. Really a great projector for the price. However I am looking to purchase a few other cheaper ones so I will keep my eyes open

1 - 11 of 11 Posts