Halloween Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
75cm-to-200cm-super-big-font-b-plush-b-font-font-b-spider-b-font-made.jpg

Hi everyone, I recently got my hands on 6 of these little (well actually 30") plush spiders. They're a little too "cute" for my liking but I'm not sure how to make them scarier.

I'm going to add fangs and scarier eyes, just curious if any of you Halloween geniuses have any other ideas?

Would a layer of mask latex smooth out the fluff and then a paint job work? The paint would mean they wouldn't be very flexible for posing but I could deal with that.

Thanks!

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
I suggest wrapping cloth around the legs before latexing them.
If you latex directly onto/into the fur, a heavy coat will soak the fur and reduce the diameter of the legs. Even with several very light coats, if the legs are grabbed the latex will stick to itself (inside the legs) leaving the legs looking crushed.
Wrapping some cloth around the legs first should alleviate most of that. I still would go with several light coats though!
Now with the body, you could shape the latex covered fur into scales, spikes, stripes, bumps... whatever!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Lurks in the shadows. I have never used latex before so I'm not at all sure how it would work. How much latex (very roughly speaking) would you think I'd use per spider? (Strange question I know, just trying to work out how much latex I'd need to buy.) I have a lot of enthusiasm but not much artistic talent, so if it requires a lot of finesse it's probably not for me. :)

I like the idea of shaping the body fur - that would allow each spider to look unique!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a few of those. They can be very scary in the dark but in the light they are comical. First off in that pic the legs only have 1 joint, the spider is much more fearsome when you have 2 joints in the legs. Add at least 2 more eyes above the existing ones in a trapezoidal shape and when you add fangs make sure they point DOWN and not FORWARD. If you have fangs pointing forward from the head it looks more like an ant than a spider.

Tough to make these spiders 'scary' unless you have them in a shadowy area or have them move.

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
I think you'll have to name one of them "Guinea Pig" to figure out how much latex it will take!
My VERY rough estimate would be around a pint each.
I'd do one first to see. You might not even like how it turns out. If so, before you give up on it, ask other people how it looks.
Rarely does any prop turn out exactly like what you imagined it would. Then you get disappointed. But, nobody else knew what you had pictured in your head, so when they see it, it looks fantastic!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hi! I am by NO means any kind of expert, but when I saw your spider photo, I thought of using some great stuff or even rags or faux fur to bulk up some of the leg joints & body, sort of like this spider that I think is quite creepy:

http://scaryjane.com/monstrous-spider.html

She also has extra eyes, as previously recommended, and I think that's a great suggestion! I think you can have a lot of fun updating these spiders - hope to see a photo when you are finished!

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
I was thinking about this while working on a noose... You could use paper towel instead of cloth to cover the legs. That'll help keep the cost down. Just use a brand with no printing or "quilting", and tear the edges so there is no straight edge to show.
Definitely add eyes, fangs, tufts of hairs and such!

·
Registered
401 Posts
FWIW, I have several of those types of spiders, and I sprayed them with fluorescent paint. I basically handed the kids paint and said go at it. These things soak up a lot of paint, but under black lights they looked a lot better IMO.

this one was pneumatically controlled and would jump up and down when triggered.
DSC_0856.jpg

This is the Spirit spider painted in fluorescent paint. It was triggered with a PIR sensor.
DSC_0858.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow so many fantastic suggestions, thank you!

ice456789, that's a good point about the legs. I'll do some poses tonight to see what works. And definitely, fangs down, good tip!

Lurks in the shadows, ouch! A pint is roughly half a litre, which would mean each spider would cost me $19 in latex. I have a (strict, self-imposed) budget this year, and that would eat into it too much I think. But I know what you mean about showing other people - especially in Australia where Halloween is still very much a "niche" occasion, people are often stunned at the relatively basic stuff I produce.

Jenn&MattFromPA, thank you - I didn't even think of expanding foam! I've seen so many DIY spider props on this forum using the stuff, but it didn't even occur to me. :)

EvilEye, they look great! I wonder if I could produce a similar effect outside with those cheap LED blacklight bulbs. It would probably end up more subdued, but even if it just highlighted the body and leg joints a bit that'd be a good start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts