Halloween Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

It's been a while since I've had music or sound effects in my haunt. I tried last year with a portable speaker that sounds great in the house but was barely heard outside so I scrapped it (probably 3W if I had to guess).

Given that I'm way over budget this year, I want to try and pick up a mini amp and a pair of Dual speakers to use. The speakers will take 50W each while the amp will crank out 40W per channel. Would this be enough sound to broadcast throughout my front yard at a decent volume? If not, I'll wait until next year and get a beefier system. I don't want to spend more than $60 or so, max.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
It's really hard to judge what speakers are gonna sound like based solely on wattage. If you can find some product reviews it may help with your choice.

·
black light queen
2,631 Posts
wattage is a number that is supposed to let you know how much clean power from an amp that the speakers can handle ... unfortunately this is misleading ... take for example car audio equipment ... we've all seen those 1000 watt car amps advertised ... they may only be able to supply 1000 watts for a millionth of a second, which is useless ...

anyways, for speakers, the situation is similar ...

what you want is to find a speaker with high efficiency ... a typical home speaker will have an efficiency of less than 90dB @ 1 watt input ... the higher number, the louder it'll be for the same power input

typically you won't find the efficiency of "cheap/inexpensive" speakers so you're really going to have to test what you have and determine if that setup will be loud enough

yeah, i know not much help, am i :)

amk

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advice! I've heard good things about the Dual indoor/outdoor speakers so I picked up a pair. Also got a mini amp so I'll give it a go and see what happens. I'm not very picky when it comes to sound so I think it also comes down to personal preference. Thanks for all your help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts