Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Halloween this year I'm planning to take inspiration from Nyghthawke (http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/131819-blackbourne-abbey-first-year.html?highlight=tardis) and create some stained glass windows to mount over the existing windows on the front of my house.

The plan is to make them out of pink foam board and the thin plexiglass included in standard poster frames. For that reason they shouldn't be very heavy, but I'm running into a bit of trouble in brainstorming exactly HOW i can manage to get these things securely over the windows without doing permanent damage to the house.

Ideas so far:

-Velcro strips. However these might not be strong enough, could leave residue on the house, and I'm afraid for removing them the velcro is likely to rip the board sooner than actually pull apart.

-Mounting with some sort of screws, using weed barrier fabric and grommets on the back of the facade. Obviously I'd rather not put holes in the house, particularly because it's all stone. It makes hanging anything on it a bit of a nightmare.

Any sage advice from the experts around these parts?

Below are some pics of what I'm working with. As you can see the windows are set back, so I'd like to fit that facades snugly right into each window area.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here is South Florida they sell a product called PlyLox. These are small metal clips designed to hold a piece of plywood inside the alcove of a window frame. Supposedly, it is to make it easier to place plywood over your windows during a hurricane.

I can't see any reason why these would not work for your application, but you would probably need to make the frame out of wood instead of foam.

Here is a link to the manufacturers site. http://www.plylox.com/

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
See that's what I love about this forum! I rent and I always wonder how to secure things in a way that doesn't damage the property, but I live in the NJ. I never would have known about this product if we didn't have people from all over the world on here! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
109 Posts
That is a fantastic idea! Wish I'd had something similar for the original Abbey; I ended up framing the things with 2x4's and plywood and screwing them into lumber mounted across the front of the porch. The upside, they're nice and sturdy and should last forever! Downside, OMG those suckers are heavy!! Especially living alone, it's a bit terrifying dragging them around from the garage and then lugging them into place.

I am eagerly awaiting pictures of your progress, Rustie!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Brick clips and fishing line if you stick with the foam. I have also used a strip of foam about 3 inches wide x the height of the opening and used hot glue to attach it to the side bricks. Then put my boarded up windows on using #6 finish nails pushed through the boards into the side pieces of foam. The hot glue will hold the side pieces on during the season and come off with a putty knife. I'm not sure the Plylox will work using only foam without a frame as the foam will flex too much to get the Plylox to seat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts