Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We're doing Atlantis next year and I am looking at creating something that feels like Rebecca Lousie Law's work (linked below) for the kids to walk through to the Temple doors. A combo of maybe blue yarn with fish and a "kelp forest".

Anyone have experience with anything similar?

I did a search but it the closest I got was a pool noodle room but there wasn't anything about the final outcome - and y'all are mad creative, :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Here is an old article on faux seaweed that might work for this,

View attachment 133262 After looking all over the web for help making sea weed for our pirate display this year I came up empty. I stumbled upon this by accident and thought I would share this with everyone. I had some thin 2' long trash bags I cut into strips to see if that would look anything like sea weed while trying to seperate the strands I stretched the strip by accident and loved the look so my daughter and I stretched each peice all the way down it. View attachment 133269 View attachment 133270 View attachment 133271 View attachment 133265 View attachment 133266 After doing this to many cut strips of trash bags I painted each different colors . View attachment 133267 This is really very easy to do hope you like it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Also get some of the creepy cloth that has a more loose weave. There is a good bit of it on Amazon. Lay it out flat and spray paint it with a couple shades of green. Let dry, flip it over and paint again. Maybe also hit it with a little green or sliver glitter spray. Then you can cut sea weed shapes out and depending on how big they are they should hold their shape, if not use some wire. Floral wire is already green or hit some bailing wire with paint after weaving it in.

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Be careful if using any wire if people will be walking through it.

For longer kelp leaves I would check out plastic sheeting from like Home Depot and try to get in garbage bag thickness. At one time they made brown and dark green plastic leaf bags but last time I looked I couldn’t find any that would work and be a good length.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There was an outdoor art display here in LA that had a similar idea:

That article has a video in it showing kids running through it; kids really loved it so I think your idea would be a big hit with the little ones. For that display, the artist used stretchable rubber tubing. I think it was medical tubing?

That tubing was very durable and it was well mounted above, but even then you could tell that some had been ripped out. That was the only problem is every kid wanted to tug on the hoses.

Tubing was perfect but it might be prohibitively expensive for just halloween. The green yarn sounds like a good idea because it's strong and unlikely to rip, and won't hurt anyone if it does. Crepe paper would look cool and kelp-like but wouldn't work well (too fragile/rippable) if people will walk through it. What about green ribbon? i bet you could get big rolls for cheap.

You also need a solid rack above to mount it. Is this indoors? Tape to the ceiling would never hold. How about one of those garden lattices mounted horizontally to vertical 2x4s?

·
Registered
75 Posts
It looks like you're getting lots of input on creating the kelp, but I wanted to share my own experience scuba diving in the kelp in Monterrey Bay (California). At the time, I was a very active scuba diver living in Ft. Lauderdale with the bulk of my experience diving in the Altantic. The Pacific was a completely different experience. Within the kelp forest, it was generally darker w/ rays of sunlight cutting through it. Also the biggest thing I noticed was that in the Atlantic, the "color" comes from the variety of fish, whereas in the kelp forest, the color came from the starfish that you could see all over the rocks. The fish we could see were mostly a bland brown / black / mud color. Typical fish you see in the kelp are things like wolf eels. I personally didn't see any schools of fish - just individuals mostly hiding in the rocks, however I'm including a link to the Monterrey Bay Aquarium Kelp Forest webcam below for more live stuff you can watch. In addition to the starfish and boring fish, there were a few sea lions and seals that were swimming around. I got dive bombed by a sea lion - they are aggressive and territorial, as well as curious. I also had one of the most amazing 5 minutes when a baby seal came and sat on a rock watching my dive buddy and me w/ curiosity. (After you go "Awwww baby! He's so cute!", you notice he's got a snout like a dog, and teeth like a dog - so make sure you keep your fingers to yourself!) There's also the chance you'll encounter a shark in the kelp. They can only see about as well as we can, so with all the shadows in the kelp forest, it was sort of freaky swimming in there. I had a heavy underwater flashlight with me as protection just in case, but otherwise I just sort of kept an eye out for any suspicious shadows!)

Best of luck w/ your project!

·
Registered
921 Posts
There is a great tutorial on making fake kelp here on the forum. How to make faux sea weed

The overall look is very convincing and the more time you're willing to take with it, the better it will be. Under low light they won't need much work, but even if they're well lit, after painting them, give them a shot of extra glossy clear finish to make them look dripping wet and you're good to go.

Check Pinterest for pictures on how to use pool noodles for underwater displays. They're kind of too cute for our Halloween Haunt, but we have some set aside that we're thinking of using for our dead Arial tombstone. By the time we're done, they'll probably be coated in Monster Mud. We thought it was funny that we gave an arrangement of the seaweed as a gag gift to our Secret Haunter this year, and the response from others was incredibly positive. So, who knows? A day-glow hall of seaweed might be just the ticket for someone's Halloween.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts