Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a problem I hope you can help with. Last year I was messing with a new door entry for our home haunt. I corpsed about 80 diff skulls and glued them to foam using foam adhesive. My pictures aren't great but it gives you an idea. However after several days of rain they started to fall off the foam. This year I want to rework the entry (I don't like the shape, I'd like to round the top), and I'm wondering if any of you have any clue how I could attach the skulls that they wouldn't fall off this time ? Any advice is appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
First of all, your entryway looks awesome! My guess is that the foam adhesive did not work because is designed to work with 2 pieces of foam, both of which are porous materials. But the plastic skulls aren’t porous so it didn’t work. I would try a more “general purpose” adhesive like Liquid Nails. Take the time to do some experiments with different glues and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all, your entryway looks awesome! My guess is that the foam adhesive did not work because is designed to work with 2 pieces of foam, both of which are porous materials. But the plastic skulls aren’t porous so it didn’t work. I would try a more “general purpose” adhesive like Liquid Nails. Take the time to do some experiments with different glues and let us know what happens.
That's a great idea, thank you! I think I'll hang a sheet outside and try liquid nails and see how it does. I did try Gorilla Glue and that was a solid fail lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are the skulls made of? Are they hollow?

In general, I've had the best luck gluing things to foam with great stuff foam.
So do you like lay a bed of it down, and then put things on or just do individual or what? And does it do okay in weather?

·
Typing Away
3,502 Posts
If it is plastic skulls you may want to ruff them up first where the glue will be going with sand paper so there is a ruff surface for the glue to grab on to. Or you could put small hole in the back of the skulls so that the glue can slip inside and create a mushroom head inside and help hold on to the surface be glued on. Good luck.
I have never had a problem with Gorilla glue not working in wet weather. I use it on all my tombstones and some are over fifteen years old.
I have had problems with Liquid Nails coming apart over time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it is plastic skulls you may want to ruff them up first where the glue will be going with sand paper so there is a ruff surface for the glue to grab on to. Or you could put small hole in the back of the skulls so that the glue can slip inside and create a mushroom head inside and help hold on to the surface be glued on. Good luck.
I have never had a problem with Gorilla glue not working in wet weather. I use it on all my tombstones and some are over fifteen years old.
I have had problems with Liquid Nails coming apart over time.
I think the difficult lies in them being half skulls - the back is cut off - so there is less surface area to glue on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At this point I'm open to anything that works lol I think I'll try several of these ideas; you guys are awesome!

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
I think the difficult lies in them being half skulls - the back is cut off - so there is less surface area to glue on.

Ok, so plastic skulls cut in twain. Yeah, I'm going to stick with my great stuff recommendation as it could fill some/all the inside of the skull as well (don't put too much in, as it expands), thus increasing the surface area for the 'glue'

You could put a bead around the inside of the skull and then lay it on the base to adhere. Maybe weight the skull down a bit even.

Alternatively, you could more or less cover a section of the base and slap the skulls down onto the great stuff while it's wet as well. It should adhere as it expands. Try to avoid any air-tight seals as that really can mess with great stuff.

Let me go see if I covered any of that in the skull tutorial I made...

Edit: Apparently I didn't get pics of me adding the great stuff...

Great stuff advise: thin layer/bead expands about double size.
If you put a thick glob, this expansion can get out of control.
Mist with water to speed curing.
Often better to let dry and peel off if it gets on you.
Acetone CAN remove wet great stuff from hair if your toddler girl shoves her head into a wet prop

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

Yeah you need to either fill them with great stuff, OR poke little holes in the sides like you would use them as masks. Run some string or wire through the holes then poke through the foam so they are basically sewn onto the foam. After attaching each do like some hot glue or gorilla glue around the outer edge as insurance. They should not budge if they are physically attached and then just glued to secure the position.

I find if you can screw, tie, nail, or solder something instead of just gluing you absolutely should if you want it to last.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts