Halloween Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks. I ordered dimmer bulbs- I agree the ones I installed are way too bright. Also going to look at switching out the signs for ones more spooky. Keep the comments coming. I appreciate them.
All these suggestions are great, but I just have to say what an awesome job you have done already. I love old, vintage stuff (Halloween or not) so I think it looks absolutely awesome. I'd like to have something like that in my yard all year round to decorate for all the seasons and holidays!
thank you so much! That really means a lot!

1,672 Posts
Nice job maybe a little too nice... I think it needs a little distressing. Dad was a RR man and most stations were never that nice looking.... always peeling paint, dust and grime from the passing trains.

Last year there was a Ghost Train thread I so want to do this one day.... I suspect one day will never come... Prop Showcase: - Ghost Train – The Last Run

·
Registered
A new one every year
2 Posts
Nice job on the ticket office. I agree with many others though. Much to "Pristine" for a haunted run down ticket office. You should consider adding some falling off boards and rough it up a lot. Love the concept though. cob webs and spiders and maybe even a splatter of blood. Great start and great idea though. Now to fine tune.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nice job on the ticket office. I agree with many others though. Much to "Pristine" for a haunted run down ticket office. You should consider adding some falling off boards and rough it up a lot. Love the concept though. cob webs and spiders and maybe even a splatter of blood. Great start and great idea though. Now to fine tune.
Agreed on all points made. I’m working on all of them. I would like to use the same facade for Christmas because this took so long to build so I’d like to keep it clean, but cobwebs and changing out the signs for more distressed ones I hope will make it look a little more spooky. Also going to add the bars because I agree that will be a nice touch. First time doing this facade and theme so this is all new to me! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Nice job maybe a little too nice... I think it needs a little distressing. Dad was a RR man and most stations were never that nice looking.... always peeling paint, dust and grime from the passing trains.

Last year there was a Ghost Train thread I so want to do this one day.... I suspect one day will never come... Prop Showcase: - Ghost Train – The Last Run
I love this Ghost train haunt, guy is talented. I don’t have the skills to be able to pull off all of those special effects but I love them!

·
Registered
578 Posts
The workmanship is outstanding! I'd love to have something like this in my yard.

I'm not fully making the connection between a train station and Halloween... and maybe others in your neighborhood are thinking the same? Maybe change your departure sign to have the train going to "Halloweentown" or "Sleepy Hollow" or something.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok, added bars using conduit pipe that I attached to a frame I made. Spray painted it copper and lightly distressed it with some greenish bluish paint that I mixed. Took about an hour to do and 0$ because I had the stuff lying around. Playing around with lighting now. I have 8 light sources plugged in and I’m still not satisfied with the amount of light.
Wood Door Fixture Art Rib
Blue Purple Clock Violet Entertainment
Purple Entertainment Performing arts Window Building

·
Registered
3 Posts
Every time I see a train depot in an old movie I always seem to remember suitcases being on the platform. Maybe add a couple old suitcases?
And if you're open to some suitcases, maybe something sticking out of one or two, inferring to live/dead things inside? :) I think it looks awesome, very authentic, but I feel like it is missing a feeling of "action", which is hard to think of what that might be, especially without pneumatics. Will you have live scare actors at that scene, perhaps? The face in the window does give some feeling of "action", to me, at least, but I think that might be what could be missing as a 'feeling', I guess (having a hard time putting it into words) :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
In general, I am satisfied with the look of the station. The dinosaur may be a distraction, but I realize that it is a permanent part of your garden. Many local visitors will also know that, and not try to associate it with the train station.

My main concern is that it is not apparent who the skeleton is. He is currently positioned more like one of the staff. But if he is a traveler, the skeleton needs a few items to convey the idea that he is a traveler. A piece of luggage at his side. Holding a train schedule, or tickets are some ideas. I would also slightly prefer to see a bit of very weathered clothing. (cheese cloth level of weathering) But, the clothing is a very minor idea, and may not be worth the effort.

Finally, if he is a traveler, I think he should be positioned so that he is not facing the front. He could be sitting on a bench, facing where the train is, as he is awaiting it. Or alternatively, at the ticket window buying a ticket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sometimes you have to beat folks over the head with an idea lol

I agree a large TRAIN STATION sign would do the trick almost instantly.

Skeleton passenger..cool idea, add a suitcase on his lap ( he's been waiting a LONG time.. ) maybe a couple more skeleton porters carrying a trunk with pumpkins or another skelly, even a coffin with a vampire.

Your train might need a little more, maybe some tracks? It's just a bit hard to tell what it is from the front, I've seen the art before, a creepy Thomas the Tank Engine isa great idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Excellent work! But I agree- it’s too clean. Needs cobwebs, dim, flickering overhead lights, aged painting/ broken boards? Love your skeletons and rail window figure! And look around for creepy sound effects. Haunted rail announcements and distance whistles?! Sound always add to atmosphere. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
106 Posts
So I have been building this facade for a couple of weeks now, and have it just about done. I feel like I am not getting the reception I expected. Some confusion on what it is, and just an underwhelming reaction. I need an objective opinion because I have been staring at this every day for two weeks. Any constructive criticism is welcome.
The theme is a haunted railroad station and this is the ticket office/ platform.
I also made a train based on an antique Halloween greeting card.
The whole thing looks great. The thing that pulls me out of the illusion is that it all looks so new. The scene is missing some age and weathering. Cobwebs would go a long way.

Reactions: Labfreak7

·
Registered
33 Posts
First, it looks great, lots of detail, but like others have said it doesn’t scream railroad station.

You need a sign, maybe something based off your street or town name, “My Town” Station. If you could highlight the sign with a lamp or spot light that could help too.

If you can, create a railroad crossing sign And maybe a big destination locations sign with miles? I’m thinking Halloween inspired; Salem, MA, Sleepy Hollow, NY, etc

Do you have have skeletons, pose them in old tattered clothing waiting for the train. Maybe you could find some beat up luggage at Goodwill or Salvation Army to complete the look.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your craftsmanship is impressive! I agree with the suggestion of a large sign that reads something like "Final Stop Railway" or "One-Way Dispatch" or something like that. Also, I love the old-time card you've modeled your train on, and understand exactly what you're going for--that early 19th-century colorful vintage "Hallowe'en" graphic style. I'm just wondering if there's a disconnect because that style on the train face (which, to be perfectly honest, is currently reminding me of Thomas the Tank Engine) when it's not echoed anywhere else on the station. Even just putting one of those vintage-look masks on the skeleton or a bit more of that graphic twist by adding signage/posters on the existing design would tie things together more. Either that, or make the train look a bit more realistic rather than giving it that vintage cartoon face.

Your lighting really adds a lot of creepy Halloween vibe! I wish I had your construction skills.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree with the other people saying "still too clean and fresh" with the ticket sign, the light covers and i'd say the platform itself. Perhaps a watered down brown paint or wood stain? Or just throw a few handfuls of mud and dirt at it lol

Personally i'd say Mr.Bones is too clean as well, saw a fantastic video on youtube by Wicked Makers who aged a skeleton for a fountain. It looked so much better! Though if this is a multiuse skeleton with multiple roles i can understand that may not be desirable.

And i second the flickering light bulbs, not flame like but the "i'm so old and decrepit i can't stay on" kind of flicker bulbs. I wanna say Spirit would definitely have those. Otherwise definitely at least dimmer bulbs because they seem too bright in the pictures.

Will anyone be in costume to go with this piece? Ghostly conductor or rail worker would be great costumes ^^ i'd have a blast just pacing in front of the facade and handing out candy.

But advice aside this is a really great build! It does pretty immediately say "train station" to me, just not spooky lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just noticed that the train is missing tracks. I think that is an important part of the depiction of the train. Of course, you don't want to make a trip hazard. But, there really should be tracks. Perhaps only extend them a few feet in front of the train, and end them.
Alternatively, you could put what is known as a "buffer stop". Modern ones are somewhat elaborate, but an old one could be a lot simpler. However, I tend to feel that it would obscure the view of the train, and may not add enough benefit to be worth the effort.
Outdoor bench Track Wood Railway Natural landscape

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I'm sure others have guessed that the reason for the disconnect is the lack of experience from kids with rail travel. I think this could be helped with sound design in the scene. I'd have a track on loop of steam hissing, train bells ringing, and a distant voice saying "All aboard!" Someone mentioned a rail crossing light and I think that would help too with the back and forth red crossing pulses. I'd also consider a billboard of destinations in place of the coke sign. I'd have platform numbers, destinations, and times on it. Sadly, as much as I hate including movie stuff in my haunts, I'd make one of my destinations Hogwarts on platform 33 and 1/3 just to jog the train memory that many kids may have had.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is great! Everyone has given great suggestions and is coming along well. I especially like the plan for a sign. I do themes every year sometimes funny none super scary. (because of my little ones) On mine I try a spooky sign tying it to the neighborhood, or the theme. I live on "kingstream" so it lends itself well.
Looking forward to seeing your progress!

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's wonderful! What a great base for your display. Both are excellent. It's all about the lighting and props. As we all know, Halloween displays "come to life" at night with props and lighting. My only suggestion is your depot. If you antique paint the depot it would give it a more dilapidated look.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts