Halloween Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been building this facade for a couple of weeks now, and have it just about done. I feel like I am not getting the reception I expected. Some confusion on what it is, and just an underwhelming reaction. I need an objective opinion because I have been staring at this every day for two weeks. Any constructive criticism is welcome.
The theme is a haunted railroad station and this is the ticket office/ platform.
I also made a train based on an antique Halloween greeting card.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice work and great attention to detail. Add a large sign designating "?????? Railway Station" I also have seen some variation of a crossing rail used for this type of haunt, if you are up for some antimation you could put a pneumatic piston on it to lower/lift it for better effect.
Thanks. The large sign is on my to do list, so maybe that will help. As far as pneumatics, that is beyond my skill set but a great idea. I plan on putting up a railroad crossing sign too. Lots more to add, I’m about 25% done. You guys are always great with support and tips!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I made some changes based on input- agreed that the railing looked out of place. I painted it and toned it down a bit. Added an old wooden trunk, and the skeleton with the hat will get more clothing to match his old hat. He’s also holding a pocket watch in his hand. Thanks for all the great ideas guys and gals! As far as the signs, I got the idea from old pictures of train station ticket offices and platforms which is kind of what this is. Plenty more to add so I will be posting pics of my progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks. I ordered dimmer bulbs- I agree the ones I installed are way too bright. Also going to look at switching out the signs for ones more spooky. Keep the comments coming. I appreciate them.
All these suggestions are great, but I just have to say what an awesome job you have done already. I love old, vintage stuff (Halloween or not) so I think it looks absolutely awesome. I'd like to have something like that in my yard all year round to decorate for all the seasons and holidays!
thank you so much! That really means a lot!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nice job on the ticket office. I agree with many others though. Much to "Pristine" for a haunted run down ticket office. You should consider adding some falling off boards and rough it up a lot. Love the concept though. cob webs and spiders and maybe even a splatter of blood. Great start and great idea though. Now to fine tune.
Agreed on all points made. I’m working on all of them. I would like to use the same facade for Christmas because this took so long to build so I’d like to keep it clean, but cobwebs and changing out the signs for more distressed ones I hope will make it look a little more spooky. Also going to add the bars because I agree that will be a nice touch. First time doing this facade and theme so this is all new to me! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Nice job maybe a little too nice... I think it needs a little distressing. Dad was a RR man and most stations were never that nice looking.... always peeling paint, dust and grime from the passing trains.

Last year there was a Ghost Train thread I so want to do this one day.... I suspect one day will never come... Prop Showcase: - Ghost Train – The Last Run
I love this Ghost train haunt, guy is talented. I don’t have the skills to be able to pull off all of those special effects but I love them!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok, added bars using conduit pipe that I attached to a frame I made. Spray painted it copper and lightly distressed it with some greenish bluish paint that I mixed. Took about an hour to do and 0$ because I had the stuff lying around. Playing around with lighting now. I have 8 light sources plugged in and I’m still not satisfied with the amount of light.
Wood Door Fixture Art Rib
Blue Purple Clock Violet Entertainment
Purple Entertainment Performing arts Window Building

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thank you so much for the kind comments and constructive criticism. I am going to have tracks, passengers waiting, and the train “stopper” which will probably be wood boards at the end of the track. Also will have a RR crossing sign with lights hopefully. No actors, but I hope to add sound as well. This is, as one person noted the backdrop to the props I will be adding. I’m hoping at the end it will have a more cohesive feel. I’m also going to look into distressing it or adding cobwebs to give it a more spooky feel. The skeleton was the first prop readily at hand- the rest I need to pull out of storage. He has been given a makeover to reflect his role and hopefully start to tell a story. I’m going to look for 1 or 2 old suitcases as well.
thanks, and there will be updates as I progress with this!

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Interesting idea and well done sir! I agree with DingoMcphee needs that skelly in an outfit behind bars.
Lol thank you for that. I will take it as a compliment that you assumed a man built this. I feel like there is a Beyoncé song playing somewhere as I announce that I am in fact a woman, which has absolutely no bearing on this topic but still worth mentioning for the record. Thank you for the tip, I will be adding a well- dressed skeleton in the window as soon as I can find some appropriate clothing. 😉

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Thanks for the tips, keep them coming as I am trying to implement every one! I took a stab at distressing with wood stain- the result is subtle I think.
I also went trash picking on my way home and grabbed this broken plastic bench that I have stained and will probably stain again for added seating for the passengers. It also extends the eye horizontally to hopefully tie into my next project which is the porch.
Doing this all by myself but I love the compliments and the polite well put criticisms.
Plant Building Door Neighbourhood Tree
Outdoor bench Plant Outdoor furniture Grass Wood
Door Plant Tree Window Building
Outdoor bench Furniture Street furniture Wood Outdoor furniture

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Today, I bought a Gemmy Christmas plastic lamp post (for indoor use) at a tag sale ($10), and rewired it to handle an outdoor bulb and socket ($8). Also followed one of the tips and got a Harry Potter platform sign. Working on a basic railroad crossing sign too. Trying very hard to buy used items and repurpose them to keep costs down.
Plant Door Tree Rolling stock Rolling
Plant Building Land lot Tree Window

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Added a few more things today.
Found an old suitcase that will be one of the skeleton’s accessories (when I get to that). Also hated the way that the white pvc stockade fence stuck out in the background, so added a brick background which I think helps the look a lot and will transition well to the porch scene (not there yet). Progress is slow with all the searching and installing of these little details, but I’m hoping to ramp up this weekend.
Plant Road surface Brickwork Building Architecture

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts