Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been building this facade for a couple of weeks now, and have it just about done. I feel like I am not getting the reception I expected. Some confusion on what it is, and just an underwhelming reaction. I need an objective opinion because I have been staring at this every day for two weeks. Any constructive criticism is welcome.
The theme is a haunted railroad station and this is the ticket office/ platform.
I also made a train based on an antique Halloween greeting card.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice work and great attention to detail. Add a large sign designating "?????? Railway Station" I also have seen some variation of a crossing rail used for this type of haunt, if you are up for some antimation you could put a pneumatic piston on it to lower/lift it for better effect.
Thanks. The large sign is on my to do list, so maybe that will help. As far as pneumatics, that is beyond my skill set but a great idea. I plan on putting up a railroad crossing sign too. Lots more to add, I’m about 25% done. You guys are always great with support and tips!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Random brainstorming...
When I picture ticket windows, I picture bars - like this.
The tin signs for Coca Cola and Dr Pepper give me a "general store" vibe, not train station.
The white banister railing just seems out of place - maybe a simpler design or paint would help?
Maybe a more detailed train schedule sign with a list of destinations like Salem, River Styx, Haddonfield, etc.
And it definitely needs a "Hauntedtown Railway Station" sign!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Thanks. The large sign is on my to do list, so maybe that will help. As far as pneumatics, that is beyond my skill set but a great idea. I plan on putting up a railroad crossing sign too. Lots more to add, I’m about 25% done. You guys are always great with support and tips!
Great work! Just a suggestion on the sign, how 'bout "Last Stop Train Station"
"One Way Tickets Only"
As for pneumatics, they are super easy, don't be intimidated by them. 🎃

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I made some changes based on input- agreed that the railing looked out of place. I painted it and toned it down a bit. Added an old wooden trunk, and the skeleton with the hat will get more clothing to match his old hat. He’s also holding a pocket watch in his hand. Thanks for all the great ideas guys and gals! As far as the signs, I got the idea from old pictures of train station ticket offices and platforms which is kind of what this is. Plenty more to add so I will be posting pics of my progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Random brainstorming...
When I picture ticket windows, I picture bars - like this.
The tin signs for Coca Cola and Dr Pepper give me a "general store" vibe, not train station.
The white banister railing just seems out of place - maybe a simpler design or paint would help?
Maybe a more detailed train schedule sign with a list of destinations like Salem, River Styx, Haddonfield, etc.
And it definitely needs a "Hauntedtown Railway Station" sign!
This looks amazing so far, and I really like your recreation of the train. A few more ideas to give it a more creepy vibe:
  • I'd swap the drink signs out with something creepy. Maybe a reference to the ferryman/river styx to convey a sense of the "last voyage".
  • Can you age the green paint a bit? It feels too clean/new looking for a haunted train stop.
  • I'd swap the bulbs for much dimmer versions, and maybe flickering lights.

·
Registered
303 Posts
All these suggestions are great, but I just have to say what an awesome job you have done already. I love old, vintage stuff (Halloween or not) so I think it looks absolutely awesome. I'd like to have something like that in my yard all year round to decorate for all the seasons and holidays!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts