Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finishing a pirate ship in my front yard (photos will be posted later this week). I've got the mast up, but I want to have a rope ladder extending downward to the ship. Every photo I've seen of sailing ships has these ladders. They are made of 4-6 pieces of rope, extending down to the ship, usually attached to block and tackle, with horizontal pieces of rope that are used as steps. I can just try and tie the horizontal "steps" of rope to the diagonal ones, but I was wondering if there is any one out there that knows how to do this correctly, using sailing knots or something so that the pieces of rope do not move.

·
The Voice of DOOM
778 Posts
If it is intended to be functional an all rope ladder is quite difficult to climb. An easier and still period boarding ladder could be made using rope for the uprights and wood for the steps. It can be cheap too! cut the wooden "rungs" or steps from pallete wood (usually hardwood), drill holes near the end of the steps large enough to pass the rope through leaving a few inches of wood outside the uprights for strength, thread the rope through the individual steps and tie a knot to support the steps! Easy peasy! Unless you meant a "boarding net" type thing. In that case I'd find a beat-up rope hammock and use that.

DB

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is intended to be functional an all rope ladder is quite difficult to climb. An easier and still period boarding ladder could be made using rope for the uprights and wood for the steps. It can be cheap too! cut the wooden "rungs" or steps from pallete wood (usually hardwood), drill holes near the end of the steps large enough to pass the rope through leaving a few inches of wood outside the uprights for strength, thread the rope through the individual steps and tie a knot to support the steps! Easy peasy! Unless you meant a "boarding net" type thing. In that case I'd find a beat-up rope hammock and use that.

DB
Thank you Dusza. It's definitely not for climbing...the mast is so unstable I'm worried about the wind knocking it down!
I've thought about using pallet wood for the steps of a rope ladder hanging off the ship, and may in fact do that, but I'm looking to make what is basically an upside V; All the pieces of rope meet at the top of the mast, and then fan out to the ship deck. I'm just not sure how you tie the horizontal pieces, but then again, I haven't even tried yet, so perhaps it's not that hard. Thanks again.

·
Capt o' the Mourning Star
600 Posts

DB
That is exactly what I did for the rope ladder that I made for my ship. Here are a couple of pics:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts