Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have many Halloween products that I pretty much need to sell as quickly as possible. I have them grouped in lots (mostly large) and am asking very fair prices, in my opinion. I thought that this would be a good time of the year to post them, although I may have been wrong to wait this long (was aiming for early September, but I missed the mark:rolleyes:). I have normally dealt with eBay, so this is my first time using Craigslist. I know that many members purchase goods from off of CL, but how many sell on there? Any luck with your items? Have you ever gotten screwed by parties who seemed interested? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here are my listings, if anyone is in Michigan and interested (or willing to make the drive): http://detroit.craigslist.org/search/sss?userid=271075380

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just sold several items on Craigslist in the past month. The trick is to use the words halloween props decorations exactly like that in the title after the item name because they are the exact keywords that trigger up in the search engines when people use the search. For example Animated skeleton for sale halloween props decorations.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply and advice, Jersey Devil. I guess that being too specific in a description is sometimes not for the best:D

·
Registered
182 Posts
You can be specific but use those exact words before or after to key up any general searches people type in.

·
Registered
334 Posts
As a buyer, I search "Halloween" and when I do a national "Halloween Props"
After 2-3 days, posters may repost to put back on the top of by date.
I suggest remove old listing (especially if price change)
Do I have to take all of your lot or will you well one or two items out of a lot. (I may already have the Harvester or only want it!).
Follow up with me. I've been told "thank you" for showing up, many call, set time and never call to cancel, leaving you waiting.
Try to go to phone/text vs the Craigslist e-mails, starts to become more personal. But don't tell me ONLY one type of communication accepted.
Prices firm? The more I buy the better the price?
If I think prices are too high, I don't contact until I see the item still available a week or 2 later, I DON"T want to be the first to say prices are too high.
(Yours are okay, but not great. A $350 lot (the 4 pcs lot) is out of a lot of home decorators budgets. That said, I was at an auction Tuesday and Halloween props went for crazy monies (IMHO), so you never known. Its a question of NEED cash now, just need the space, need the maximum amount of cash or just need it gone!
My gut tells me Halloween Yard sale could be the best, but May be tool late for you.
No shipping Set time to customers to show up Can adjust prices to sell or hold for another day or drop prices until its gone.

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,253 Posts
I have sold on CL also and price is a huge factor if you want them gone fast the prices have to come down.
If I was looking for Halloween at your adds I would pass cause of the price ( no offence just giving you advice is all )
If you have time to sell then you could leave them as is and see if you do get any takers :)
good luck with the sale

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to both of you for the replies. I have virtually no yard and am on a main corner, so a yard sale is definitely not happening here (sure that the park would be thrilled with vehicles parking everywhere, especially when I am near the office:rolleyes:). No matter what people may say, I always take the time to respond. I have had one person seem truly interested in a few items and we are still in discussions. Others have asked if items were still available then have not bothered to respond again, with that being their full inquiry and me not knowing what the hell else to say other than whether they are or not *shrugs*. Yet another wanted to actually drop by and take a look (not happening until I get to first meet up with some goods in tow and feel someone out); I may have somehow offended them with what I said regarding meeting and going from there, but so be it if that is the case. Most of the prices are lower than I started with, and I really do not want to go any lower if I can help it, with many of the items going for far more on eBay and such than I am asking. I may wind up dividing the lots. No one needs to worry about offending me, so don't bother mincing words;)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I tried to sell a few items on Craigslist last year. Still have them and am thinking on trying with them and a few more again but am reluctant. Sometimes you may be better off asking a little more than you'll settle for as people seem to be under the impression they're buying on e-bay. I asked about 1/2 the cost new although they were all new for 3 props. Had numerous people e-mail me asking if I'd accept varying amounts up to half the total of all 3 together. Actually I was trying to clear out and supplement bills after a stint of no pay due to illness not help finance your haunt LOL. I've also noticed if 1 out of 4 show up when they say you're on a roll.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cloe, I have had the same experience, with folks asking if I will accept far less for brand new items that ordinarily sell for a great deal more than I am asking, which I am not about to agree to. I do not feel that it is being greedy to want a reasonable amount instead of, for instance, settling on a mere $100 for four large items when one alone normally goes for at least $80 by itself. If I had a good job with an actual livable income, I would be far more willing to accept lower (but still fair to myself) rates, though, like you pretty much said, I am not about to practically donate the goods to people.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've found it rare for someone from CL to pay the full price without trying to haggle first even though I think I ask reasonable prices. There is a fair amount of people that make appointments & then don't show up without any phone call to let you know that they changed their mind. The other common behavior is that they'll say they are showing up at a certain time then you find out later that they haven't even started on their way yet. Then they get all offended if you sound irritated that they are going to be late. I've even had people stop to get something to eat or go shopping first although they said were coming right away & couldn't understand why I was upset for making me wait. Even though eBay buyers will pay a certain price, you will probably find that locals picking up stuff want it for dirt cheap prices. Good luck with your sales.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, HallowweenKat. I have already had a lot of hagglers, along with those who seemed interested then never bothered to respond when I told them that the items were still available. This is my first time using Craigslist, but I am quickly learning that eBay does appear to be the better site regarding getting fairer prices (even if the bastiches do unfairly take fees from the shipping costs).

·
Registered
3 Posts
cloe, I am interested in buying that headbanging zombie if you still have it please respond back thank you

·
Registered
203 Posts
Craigslist you can count on the following"
1. no shows
2. fake e-mails and texts asking for your name and address.
3. e-mails and text asking if it is still available.**ad is up still available in ad
4. people asking you to meet half way..(in my state the whole state can be traversed in under and hour)..and then don't show.
5. people asking you to hold items..and never show.
6. people offering half of what you are asking for items.
7. if they just cut and paste some of your ad with nothing else..it's fake
8. always have pictures and size if possible.
9. always have customers call you first before coming to buy items.
10. look at the number when they call..most instates are somewhat legit..almost all out of state numbers..can be cranks over the computer calling.
hope some of this helps..I've been buying and selling on craigs lists for years

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Craigslist you can count on the following"
1. no shows
2. fake e-mails and texts asking for your name and address.
3. e-mails and text asking if it is still available.**ad is up still available in ad
4. people asking you to meet half way..(in my state the whole state can be traversed in under and hour)..and then don't show.
5. people asking you to hold items..and never show.
6. people offering half of what you are asking for items.
7. if they just cut and paste some of your ad with nothing else..it's fake
8. always have pictures and size if possible.
9. always have customers call you first before coming to buy items.
10. look at the number when they call..most instates are somewhat legit..almost all out of state numbers..can be cranks over the computer calling.
hope some of this helps..I've been buying and selling on craigs lists for years
True teddy, but I've also had serious haunters come and pay whatever I've asked and walk away leaving me with a less-stuffed basement and more-stuffed wallet! One other thought Garthgoyle, if you're willing to ship, I always post on here with the lowest price I'm willing to go. Lots of luck selling small stuff, not so much with the bigger stuff. I guess a lot of DC, MD, and VA haunters don't hang out here!

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you both for commenting, stuffyteddybare and halloweenscreamqueen. When I had items listed, I had it set to only allow people to e-mail me through CL's relay feature. I had a couple ask to stop by my place to see what all I had (to case it? I think not); when I told the folks that I would bring whatever they were most interested in to a public meetup spot and we could go from there, they never responded again, which did not surprise me in the least. I told one person that I would accept the lower price that they offered, yet I never heard from them afterward.

Currently, I do have items listed here for sale that I am willing to ship. I thought that the prices were fair, especially since shipping is not exactly cheap (I would like to at least break even, of course), but what do I know, apparently?:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Lol, yeah, I only allow people to come to the house if my husband is home... We've not had any problems. If the person is interested in one or two things, I usually bring them up from the basement, but several people have been interested in a bunch of different things. Those folks I'll take down to the basement. Two different times, the people have walked out with even more than they thought they were interested in! ����

·
Registered
301 Posts
What items do you have for sale? I'm in Shelby Township.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts