Halloween Forum banner

Advice for quick or profitable craigslist sales?

1562 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Screaming Demons
Mods, please move if this is in the wrong forum. I'm looking for some stories/advice about selling decorations/props on craigslist. Every year I sell about 5-15 items from my collection locally on craigslist in order to fund new purchases. There seems to be no real rhyme or reason, in my experience, to what people are interested in buying. I've sold crappy $1 garage sale monster hands, $5 furry spiders, and even $20 masks instantly while cooler props/masks get zero offers. I realize pricing things well is part of the issue, but I'm wondering if others have found particular types of decorations or props sell better or worse locally. Most people on craigslist are out to get a deal. And it seems that bundling items together helps. I'd like to pick out the best pieces to sell from my storage unit this year. So anyone have experiences or advice they'd like to impart?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,690 Posts
The market is so thin on Craigslist I would not try to sell good pieces. Period. Needle in a haystack kind of thing. Good pieces should go on Ebay and/or here.

Only Craigslist really large stuff that is too expensive to ship. And then you either have to wait (maybe a really long time, maybe forever) for the right buyer to come along. If you want to sell something relatively quickly on Craigslist, it has to be aggressively priced. And some things will just never sell on Craigslist.

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Thought more about this, especially as I see you typed quick "or" profitable. I once bought a van full of Halloween stuff from a guy who was selling everything from his haunt. He put an ad on Craigslist showing just a huge mass of stuff (multiple pictures) but he didn't list names, prices or itemize. He posted the ad maybe a week before he was actually going to be selling stuff. He had all the stuff at his limo service garage and he basically said, come on down. He might have limited it to a couple of nights after work. Forget. But he wanted to do it all quickly and he made that clear.

I think what worked for his sale was he had a number of interesting pieces that people would come from a distance for, then they showed up for that piece, but would buy other stuff, especially if he offered good prices while they were there.

This is also the best time of the year for selling stuff, and probably the only time of the year to sell Halloween stuff on Craigslist.

Good luck.

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.