Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods, please move if this is in the wrong forum. I'm looking for some stories/advice about selling decorations/props on craigslist. Every year I sell about 5-15 items from my collection locally on craigslist in order to fund new purchases. There seems to be no real rhyme or reason, in my experience, to what people are interested in buying. I've sold crappy $1 garage sale monster hands, $5 furry spiders, and even $20 masks instantly while cooler props/masks get zero offers. I realize pricing things well is part of the issue, but I'm wondering if others have found particular types of decorations or props sell better or worse locally. Most people on craigslist are out to get a deal. And it seems that bundling items together helps. I'd like to pick out the best pieces to sell from my storage unit this year. So anyone have experiences or advice they'd like to impart?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Only experience is as a buyer.
I want to see pictures. I want to see prices.
Without those, I'm not stopping by for too much to list sales. Or make an offer. I don't mind a price with "or BO" or list Firm IF YOU MEAN it
I don't want to read, rants about Craig's list, "don't call unless serious, etc...." that's your problem with dealing with Craig list buyers.
Get back to me quickly, with options to meet. I would include, "ask if looking for something special".
I don't like a lot of individually listings, show me all 4-5 units or bundles in one listing
I search for "Halloween" not props, not animatronics, not costumes, not decorations,, not Gemmy, but that's me.
Tell me how you "prefer" contact", but give ME the options to text, e-mail or call.

My observation is, post to more then one location, here in jersey, we have the state in 4 listings, + NYC and Philly, so item maybe listed in North, Central and South Jersey, etc...
If your pricing is really good, educate the buyer, "Bought New last year for $100, 1st $45 cash takes it".

I hope that helps

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,294 Posts
I'd cross-pollinate if you've got real good stuff. Don't think Craigslist as that great for really nice stuff anyway.

We have a for sale section on here, there's also our sister site Haunt Forum's sales section, and you should check out NextDoor and OfferUp for selling as well. Listing it in many different places is good to get the widest audience. Especially if you hit up the Halloween sites like here and Haunt Forum because these places are more likely to have a higher concentration of folks that REALLY want good props and be willing to pay for them.

Definitely group things for sale. Sell in lots if you have similar items. And totally agree on lots of photos. Could even add a link to a short video if you don't mind setup and recording one for the really cool animatronics. Seeing it working may be a great sales tactic and assurance that the prop still does work the way it is supposed to.

LOTS of keywords. I'd put in everything I could think of to get the listings to show up well.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The market is so thin on Craigslist I would not try to sell good pieces. Period. Needle in a haystack kind of thing. Good pieces should go on Ebay and/or here.

Only Craigslist really large stuff that is too expensive to ship. And then you either have to wait (maybe a really long time, maybe forever) for the right buyer to come along. If you want to sell something relatively quickly on Craigslist, it has to be aggressively priced. And some things will just never sell on Craigslist.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Thought more about this, especially as I see you typed quick "or" profitable. I once bought a van full of Halloween stuff from a guy who was selling everything from his haunt. He put an ad on Craigslist showing just a huge mass of stuff (multiple pictures) but he didn't list names, prices or itemize. He posted the ad maybe a week before he was actually going to be selling stuff. He had all the stuff at his limo service garage and he basically said, come on down. He might have limited it to a couple of nights after work. Forget. But he wanted to do it all quickly and he made that clear.

I think what worked for his sale was he had a number of interesting pieces that people would come from a distance for, then they showed up for that piece, but would buy other stuff, especially if he offered good prices while they were there.

This is also the best time of the year for selling stuff, and probably the only time of the year to sell Halloween stuff on Craigslist.

Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
190 Posts
Problem with Ebay, and I sell a lot there, is they and Paypal rip you, the seller off! 13% gone from your final sales to those thieves! If only so many potential buyers were elsewhere!

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
I get very few offers on OfferUp and when I do, it's for way less. I've stopped using them. No luck selling on Craiglist. I have the best luck with Facebook marketplace. I post to local garage sale type pages as well as the main marketplace. I had 3 lots of Halloween items for sale. People will want to come over to see ALL of it. Then ask if they can take a few items--that's frustrating but I'd rather have a sale then none at all. I got lucky when one couple came by, wanted one lot and then ended up taking all of it. If I did it again, I would post a picture of everything and have people stop by to view it all if they are interested. Price it individually and keep in your head what you would want for the whole thing in case they ask. It also helps to have batteries in anything that's animated so they can see that it works.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips on fbook marketplace all. I have had pretty good success selling individual pieces in the $15-$30 range on craigslist the last two years. Must be my market or something. Big stuff is hard to move since people need a large truck.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Problem with Ebay, and I sell a lot there, is they and Paypal rip you, the seller off! 13% gone from your final sales to those thieves! If only so many potential buyers were elsewhere!
And that's charged on the shipping too. I've had people make low offers on ebay and wrote them back that after paying shipping and ebay/Paypal fees, I would be money ahead if I just tossed the item in the trash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts