Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I just bought our first house and want to have a Halloween Party for adults. I know we still have like 5 months to go until Halloween but I am the type of person that likes to plan ahead, plus the Halloween stuff is on sale right now on most sites that I come across. I need ideas, how should I decorate the inside of my house and what kinds of foods and drinks should I have. I don't want to have corny stuff- I want to keep it grown and classy but still scary and fun at the same time. What about my invitations- any ideas on those.. Thanks for your help!

J

·
livin Halloween every day
1,988 Posts
I guess decorating could be really anything halloween related. I have always wanted to try a nostalgic type of party and use some of the old decorations for the time to decorate. My old time period was in the 70's so i would like to use alot of the old Beistle cut out decorations and and do some the old traditional activities. Pumpkin carving contest, apple bobbing and such. I just think it would be cool to have an adult party that would be set to the period of the adult guests youth.

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
Booze, lots of booze... and those little sausages rolled up in creseant rolls with mustard dots for eyes! Kinda look like little mummies. Yea, love those things... especially with booze! And don't forget to mention that it is a COSTUME party on the invitations. Otherwise, your own brother may, and will, show up in jeans!

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
Invest a couple of hours looking at each and every one of our past party pics. There you will see everything you need to know about decorating inside and out, cooking, room layout, costume contests, and invitations. STARK Madness Photo Gallery - Home

Gee, someone in Schenectady took me literally!

·
Shadow box dancer
1,394 Posts
I would highly advise against inviting "adults" to a Halloween party. "Adults" tend to be kind of party poopers when it comes to dressing up and having fun at a party like you are talking about. Grown up children however will have a blast at a Halloween party. :)

Oh and like someone else mentioned. Booze. Sometimes that helps make "adults" act like children. ;)

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
haha Junkie, good points!

We've been having a party since 2002. We don't get tricker treaters so every thing we do and make is for the party. Since most of our guest are 'repeat' guests, we try to keep it fresh by changing the theme every year.
Once you have an idea where you want to go with your party, then deciding on decorations, food and invites is much easier.
Encourage your guests to dress up by having a costume contest or if they are the type that needs more encouragement, threaten to dress anyone not in costume yourself lol
Help them find their inner child, like junkie mentioned, by including a drinking game. Survivor and tempt your fate are good games for this.
OHHHH and dont forget good music!
And lots of strategically placed garbage cans :)

Have fun and take Frankie's girl's suggestion and visit the Party Ideas section!

Halloween Photo Gallery - Home

MsM

·
STARK Raving Mad
937 Posts
Ooooh, nice CopperMine Photo Gallery! I see you're running version 1.4.16. They have made a lot of patches to security holes since your version (I believe the current version is 1.4.21). I REALLY suggest upgrading before you get hacked like I did.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Thanks :) I'm quite proud of being able to put that up lol Learned a lot of new cuss words though trying to turn that generic template into a template that would match my own background and theme!

By upgrading do you mean I have to start all over again?! Or do I keep what I have and upgrade?
Any tips are greatly appreciated!

The only problems I"ve run into with it so far are people wanting to register and then spamming the comments. So I just took that option out.

MsM

·
Registered
351 Posts
We've had parties since '05 and we tend to go nuts decorating the entire house. Look through the party ideas section as it will help you tremendously. Our decor grows year over year and since we also have repeat visitors, we are alwys changing the themes and decor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
They already nailed it. Booze! What I have learned it a lot of people think cheesy party games are stupid, but once they are there and doing them, they have fun. They will even enjoy and humor the cheesy decorations as long as you give them a good mixed drink. Throw some dry Ice in the Punch and make a fog, cool, as long as there is also booze in it!

Bob for apples! Sure as long as you injected apple pucker into it!

Monster Mash Dance Party! Sure I'm Drunk!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Throw some dry Ice in the Punch and make a fog, cool, as long as there is also booze in it!
DONT do this... Dry Ice is Highly acidic, in its frozen form it will bond to the skin within seconds and cause severe burns... it's not safe or edible and is purely a decorative kinda thing unfortunately.

Only reason i know is

a) the other halfs a scientist and
b) I wanted to do the same :(

much safer to Serve the punch in a fountain - attach skulls etc to the fountain machine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, I didn't mean it like that. I got cauldron from the party store and then put a big plastic bowl in there to hold the punch. The dry ice goes into the cauldron with some water and you get the same effect.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have put a smaller cauldron inside a larger one with the punch in the center bowl and dry ice between them. Makes a great fog effect but still safe.

As far as drinks go, I usually offer one or two to keep the expenses down & state byob. Last year was a punch a giant "poison" bowl and jello shots. I always make jello shots with gummy worms & bugs in them. This year I am going to try hot spiked apple cider.

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
I have put a smaller cauldron inside a larger one with the punch in the center bowl and dry ice between them. Makes a great fog effect but still safe.
As far as drinks go, I usually offer one or two to keep the expenses down & state byob. Last year was a punch a giant "poison" bowl and jello shots. I always make jello shots with gummy worms & bugs in them. This year I am going to try hot spiked apple cider.
The culldron effect is great. At a party I went to last year they had something similar but instead of having the small in the large, they had made a pumpkin fountin and it was fillterd somehow so it continued to work. This was all made from those .88 plastic tot ones from walmart. The dry ice on the outside looked great.

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Hi and welcome, it's never too early to plan for Halloween!!! This is a pretty good website with grownup ideas:

Halloween, Themes & Ideas - Hostess with the Mostess

Also Martha Stewart has lots of good recipes and decorating tips on her website.

But the best advice on recipes, decor, drinks and costumes is to be found right here at HF in the Party Ideas, Experiences and Recipes thread. ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you everyone for your wonderful ideas and help! They all have helped me greatly and WOW some of you have had some awesome Halloween parties!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts