Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Halloween Elitist
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...you cause traffic jams in your neighborhood the day of.
I'll admit it, I'm egotistical when it comes to my haunt. I like seeing and hearing about how congested it gets.
Well you ask, how do you know you are at the root of congestion. Well because I've driven around all my streets in neighborhood and don't see any other house that would lead me to believe that someone else is responsible and I've heard from visitors say not too many people give out candy so that rules out that maybe it's the candy.Some co workers say they don't bother coming over because it is hard to get in. So yeah I love to snarl traffic. How bout the rest of you? Are you the cause for the traffic?

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Last year, we were told by several parents that the police were directing traffic into our neighborhood. That was pretty cool. I can't take all the credit because it is a very tricky intersection anyway, but I like to think we might've had a little to do with it. ;)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Last year my neighbor across the street walked over and put his arm around my shoulder. "See this?" he said, waving his other arm over the crowds of people, cars bumper to bumper, and families trying to navigate through it all. "Yes?" I replied. "Damn you!" he laughed. I said, "I know, I did this." and laughed too. You're right, it does feel good. I just hope the cops don't shut us down some time. I heard they can. It's called being an Attractive Nuisance.

·
Registered
372 Posts
We have had pretty heavy congestion out front usually when somebody decides to park on the opposite side of the street from everyone else that is parked on our side and someone wants to just get through but more often everyone just stops as they realize why the car in front of them stopped.

The haunt started at my parents house many years ago. The house was on a major road. We had a year with Halloween on a Friday or Saturday where cars parked down both sides and 2 tractor trailers could not pass so they just stopped and shutdown this major road. The cops came and made everyone on the other side of the road move and we figured we were shut down. To our surprise the supervisor told the cop to stay and direct traffic for an hour and they did. It was awesome to get such a surprising reaction.

In this same town where I grew up there is another haunter that attracts a huge crowd but on a much less traveled street. For years now the town actually just closes the road for them and most of the neighborhood joins in above average decorating.

Ya, I love it :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
No traffic jams, I am on a circle in the back of a neighborhood, but I had people tell me I caused some anxiety because I started late this year. We had vandalism at the end of summer and people thought I was not going to set up. I was in Disney/Universal the first week of October LOL.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't get any major traffic jams normally - live in a small housing developmen on a round court, so it's pretty simple traffick flow. Maybe just haven't gotten the word out enough...gotta work on that...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't mind the foot traffic but despise the car traffic. So many people drive in and don't turn off their headlights, ruining everyone's night vision and my lighting! I'd prefer it if the road was closed to cars, probably safer as well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My first year, so we'll see. My neighbor has a great graveyard and pirate/skeleton set up and it's their first year in the house too so I expect we'll get some traffic issues.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Ha! Saltwaterservr I had to check where you were from....it is our first year in our house and we did pirates skellies and a graveyard....not "great" but I was excited and hoping we were neighbors. Haha
We have had some folks slow down to take a look, especially tonight when we had the lights turned on :)
Our first year in this house/city so I'm excited to see how many kids we get! My son was keeping a tally tonight of how many people stopped to say they liked the yard hahaha

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ha! Saltwaterservr I had to check where you were from....it is our first year in our house and we did pirates skellies and a graveyard....not "great" but I was excited and hoping we were neighbors. Haha
We have had some folks slow down to take a look, especially tonight when we had the lights turned on :)
Our first year in this house/city so I'm excited to see how many kids we get! My son was keeping a tally tonight of how many people stopped to say they liked the yard hahaha
Happy to see some other Albertans on here :)

We made the local paper this week which is a huge deal in this house. We live on a quiet street but every night I look out the window and see cars parked all around our house. It's awesome. Halloween night our street is one big traffic jam, all because of us.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts