Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our haunt grew this year and while finalizing the lighting, I ran out of spotlights. So, I thought I would take some pictures and put together a tutorial. I know that LED's are the way to go, but I've been making and using these light for several years with left over materials around the shop.

The lights are cheap and easy to make, I can make a dozen in less than 2 hours... quicker if I don't wait for the paint to dry.

They are versatile and easy to mount and adjustable from a tight spot to a flood pattern.

And did I mention they are cheap?

Enjoy-
OddTodd

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the video... Do have any pics of the c7's in action?
Here is a short video of the spotlights. The "hood" doesn't have to be cut at a 45, this gives more of an elongated light pattern... great for standing props.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very simple, very cost effective, and the daisy-chaining allows for future expansion.

Dang right Ima make a batch of these!
You can make a dozen almost as fast as making one.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I like the idea of simply interrupting a basic extension cord, so you can daisy-chain these. Keep both the plug and outlet. And since those lamp cords have three-way heads, you can really put em anywhere.

So Ima go find those bulk boxes of LED crystal-dome lights (which I bought for a buck a box after last Christmas) and start this idea!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the idea of simply interrupting a basic extension cord, so you can daisy-chain these. Keep both the plug and outlet. And since those lamp cords have three-way heads, you can really put em anywhere.

So Ima go find those bulk boxes of LED crystal-dome lights (which I bought for a buck a box after last Christmas) and start this idea!
I used conventional incandescent C7 bulbs... these run off of 110 volt AC.
Don't cut individual bulbs from a string of LEDs and hook them to AC, you will destroy your LED string, let the magic smoke out and possibly start a fire. LEDs run on low voltage DC with current limiting resistors.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hey Todd,

I would like to thank you for this tutorial. Saw it last year and have now made several of these this year to spotlight the tombstones in my cemetery as well as a few other things. The great part wa that last year i made a cemetery fence and used the 1/2" electrical pvc. the flared ends were my drops that are all about 20" long so i have about 30 of these ends. Thanks again.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Todd,

I would like to thank you for this tutorial. Saw it last year and have now made several of these this year to spotlight the tombstones in my cemetery as well as a few other things. The great part wa that last year i made a cemetery fence and used the 1/2" electrical pvc. the flared ends were my drops that are all about 20" long so i have about 30 of these ends. Thanks again.
You are welcome. I used the same PVC for my fence as well and had a bunch of these in a bucket. I just knew there was a reason not to throw them away.

·
Registered
530 Posts
This is a great Idea and I was thinking this could easily be converted to LED lighting. With an Item such as this https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-decorative/led-replacement-bulb-c7-w-3-led-17w/451/
C7 LED replacement bulbs.
I like the idea of using LEDs, as they don't get as hot, last longer, etc. However, I don't think these C7 bulbs are as bright. The LEDs have a lumen rating in the 5-7 range, but the incandescents are about 35 lumens (for clear). This is only from a couple of quick searches online, and not practical experience.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I like the idea of using LEDs, as they don't get as hot, last longer, etc. However, I don't think these C7 bulbs are as bright. The LEDs have a lumen rating in the 5-7 range, but the incandescents are about 35 lumens (for clear). This is only from a couple of quick searches online, and not practical experience.
I actually had some C7 LED bulbs around when i made my test piece and yes you are right. They are not near as bright as using the incandescents.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I bought some LED vehicle backup lights that might work well in this configuration. They get much hotter than expected, but if this housing can handle incandescent C7 bulbs, it can probably handle them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts