Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my foam panels from home depot.
my plan was to 3d print 8mm veneer of the tombstone with the engraved lettering and ornamentation in PLA
then glue it to the foam.
I was thinking of using liquid nails.

wondering if anyone had any input from their experiences.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I believe Liquid Nails will melt Styrofoam. You can use Gorilla Glue or there are other adhesives that come in tubes like Liquid Nails that are specifically for foam and say so on the label.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,619 Posts
My favorite adhesive for foam is Great Stuff. I use it to glue styrofoam boards to wood boards, and it works awesome! I've yet to see great stuff give way. If not really careful though, it requires a little post "gluing" cleanup or cutting away excess.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use the great stuff to - the Blue low expansion stuff works great. Spray it with a little water and it sets pretty quick.

·
Registered
Prop Building
80 Posts
I was suggested to use clear Gorilla glue and have to say the stuff is bloody amazing, but pricey. I'm gluing all my styrofoam with it now, as it dries flexible but also does not react with the foam itself. The other thing I use is the 3M or Gorilla spray glue, stuff works like a charm.

·
Typing Away
3,640 Posts
I used Liquid nails for foam and after a few years it started to crack and come apart. I have been using Gorilla Glue for over 15 years and have had no problems. Also if you have any glue bleed out wait 30 minutes and snap or cut off it will not be super hard and easier to remove. Good luck and happy tombstone making.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I was suggested to use clear Gorilla glue and have to say the stuff is bloody amazing, but pricey. I'm gluing all my styrofoam with it now, as it dries flexible but also does not react with the foam itself. The other thing I use is the 3M or Gorilla spray glue, stuff works like a charm.
I used Liquid nails for foam and after a few years it started to crack and come apart. I have been using Gorilla Glue for over 15 years and have had no problems. Good luck and happy tombstone making.
I have always used Gorilla Glue as well and never had a problem. I just use the regular all purpose brown gorilla glue.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Low temp hot glue will work, Elmer's, sometimes you can get away with spray adhesive. Glidden gripper works, Greatstuff is awesome, but you need to put pressure on it to minimize the expansion.... it holds like a beast. You can always paint or prime it first then all the glues work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can see using a 3D printer, for carvings that are above the surface. But, many or most tombstones have lettering that is carved in. Perhaps you can use the 3D printer to make some sort of template to help you carve into the foam, as an alternative?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I use the Loctite PL300 Foamboard adhesive and it works really well except it does not harden hard. It stays flexible to some degree. it resists sanding. I will try the great stuff and see if that works better.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
627 Posts
I've used liquid nails, but it is not meant for direct moisture exposure and did hold up well over time. I've found Gorilla glue is great for small areas, but I also use the great Stuff Foam as adhesive over large areas. Just be sure to clamp it well until fully cured. You will need to do some trimming as it will leak out the edges. (this is unavoidable if you want the edges sealed)

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,619 Posts
A suggestion regarding Great Stuff if you choose to go that route. If you use it for enough projects, I'd highly recommend investing in the Great Stuff gun. Oh man, I love that thing. No more using a can and then having a long period of time before going back to it and then the can is basically useless. The gun eliminates that completely, and makes it SO much easier to control application. It's not cheap, but well worth it if you're not on a tight budget. If you do get it, just remember that it uses different cans than the standard Great Stuff cans. Also, be sure to buy the cleaner. You do need to clean it thoroughly when you're done using it to keep it in good working condition. It's fine to use the Great Stuff canister attached overnight for use the next day, but if it's gonna be a few days between uses, detach the GS canister, and clean the gun thoroughly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used the Styro-Goo from Hotwire Foam Factory. It's easy to cut through it with hot wire tools, no drag. Haven't tried anything else yet though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I also use styro glue and it practically sticks to everything, excellent for foam attachments. I have used it to glue PLA printed parts to my foam critters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts