Halloween Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I've ready a lot of the posts here and feel like I'm in kindergarten compared to some of you guys. But, I've got a question, so here goes.

I perform as an Auguste clown. Not my day job, but on weekends at children's hospitals, parades and so forth. Because so many in my audience say they are "terrified of clowns," I've been working on a new Auguste character that I'm calling "a clown on his day off." Basically, assume all the exaggerated parts of a clown (nose, ears, feet, really fat) are my actual, real body. So I appear like a clown would if all those parts are real - just no colorful makeup.

I worked with a makeup artist to get a lifecast made, and she sculpted a nose and cast it in foam latex. Last night, she applied the first one. We also did a video of the process, so I can review it before I try it myself. Kids are really good at spotting fake things, so this nose can't look like its fake or it spoils the illusion. No seams, nothing. That's the goal.

My question is this: when we attached the nose, we used ProsAide - a thin, sheer layer on my nose and on the prosthetic. Powdered the nose (I think, we went over a lot at the time) and (once the ProsAide was dry/transparent) stuck it on. Then a thin layer under the edges to seal them down, and then ProsAide stippled on, covered by powder (2 layers). Then the makeup (some PAX, some greasepaint, some an alcohol-based makeup). Looked great - no lines, matched my skin tone, stuck tight.

I went home and put on the rest of my character's costume, which includes a giant fat suit. When I have that on, I sweat. A LOT! Well, fortunately this was a test of the makeup before I used it in a performance. The nose stayed on about 4 hours, and about an hour into the start of some heavy perspiration on my part. Then one nostril lifted off. After 30 minutes, another one did. After another hour, the whole thing detached.

I've read that ProsAide is water based, so my guess is that sweating dissolved it. What can I use that's stronger? Telesis 7? If so, how do I apply it to the nose? Can I use Telesis 7 right to the skin-side of the feathered edges? I've read that I can conceal the edges with ProsAide and powder, but I've got questions about whether sweating will cause the edges to get revealed as it melts the ProsAide. Can I use SkinTite and powder the same way?

One more question: How do I clean up the nose that I used that 'fell off?' I want these to be reusable again and again (up to a reasonable limit, of course), and I don't know how to take the makeup off the outside of the nose, or the ProsAide off the inside (before I use Telesis 7). I used Mehron makeup remover on me for the greasepaint - is that stuff okay for the nose?

Because I make up and then travel to what could be a very long day of performances, I'm looking for this nose to stay stuck and invisible for at least 9 hours.

Thanks for the help and sorry about the length. This is a bit of a new world for me and I don't know how much information is helpful.

Mark

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi Mark,
I use foam prosthetics in my haunt. I paint them with airbrush paint so I don't remove the makeup from them. I do clean them on the inside with rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. This year we used them 5 nights but I am sure I could get more out of them. However, lighting in a haunted house is very dim so any edges that roll after wear won't be seen, in your case they would be spotted I would think so you might not get as much out of each prosthetic.
My actors wear them for about 6 hours and they are very active people. To adhere them I use clear liquid latex, it actually dries clear. It holds well and if it needs a touch up, a small bottle of liquid latex and a Q-tip are all you need.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Isopropyl alcohol to clean up the prosthetic and I have never had a problem with prosaide not working. I'm not sure why you waited to stick the prosthetic on when the prosaide was transparent? I have never done that myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts