Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Looks simple enough. First, get a strobe light. It should be bright enough to really make a good effect.

Placement of the light is also very important. I would be sure that it is placed both well above head level and behind the people as the approach the prop. You never want people to actually see the strobe light itself.

I'm not sure what triggers the prop, but there is something, either a motion sensor, or breaking a beam or stepping on a mat. (Do you have a link to the actual prop from where you ordered it from?

Find whatever it is that turns on the prop. use that same trigger to turn on the strobe light. Without knowing anything about the prop, it's hard for me to give you specifics. If the prop itself runs on 120VAC then it probably plugs into a box that acts as the trigger which turns on the prop when someone comes near. Just add the plug for the strobe light (probably an extension cord that goes to the strobe light) to the same output that feeds the prop and they will both switch on and off at the same time.

If the prop runs on DC, then you need to figure out what voltage it runs at, then get a relay that has a coil which works with that voltage, and turn on and off the strobe light by having the relay switch it on.

I know these instructions are all very vague, but I am happy to give you VERY detailed instructions as soon as I can learn more about the actual prop. Please post a link to it and I'll try to get some info on how the prop turns on and off and what kind of power it runs on. Once I know that, I can come back here and give you detailed instructions and a parts list if you like.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a link other than the one I posted, it is a small store that sells halloween stuff (one of the few here in Belgium), they had the prop on display in the store.
It is voice activated or by a presuremat
It works on 4 12v battery's or 220V with an adapter

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
OK, so your power at your outlets is 220VAC instead of 110VAC Like I have here in the US. That's fine, it doesn't change anything. The strobe light you would buy would also work on 220VAC where you are.

The best way that I can help you is to wait until the prop arrives, then I can ask you questions and you can take some close up pictures and I can talk you through how to get the strobe to work with the prop step by step. I couldn't find any specific info on the unit from the link you provided. Once you have it there, it should be fine.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Sounds like the prop operates on DC current. If your strobe uses AC, you'll need to wire in a relay as HB has suggested. You'll need to wire the coil of the relay to the circuit of the prop that gets power when it's triggered. The relay will then also energize the strobe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts