Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I've gotten a lot of questions about how I add the pronounced lip to my stones without routeing out the center. Its a pretty simple operation.
Here is a quick step-by-step of the process.

1. Mark out the shapes on the blank stone

2. Using a hacksaw blade , carefully remove the inner section

3. Repeat step 2 with the second section

4. Reassemble the parts with a 1/2" offset

5. use 2 1/2" - 3" screws to attach the parts to one another...

more to come!

·
Registered
95 Posts
AWESOME Kevin! that at least gets me started in the right direction!! Although I'm not quite sure about the 2 1/2" screws and their fixation points? could you use some sort of adhesive?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AWESOME Kevin! that at least gets me started in the right direction!! Although I'm not quite sure about the 2 1/2" screws and their fixation points? could you use some sort of adhesive?
I'm in the process of getting together the next stage of the technique, I hope to have it posted in a bit!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
9. coat the face of the stone where the lettering will be done with latex paint, this will prevent the spray adhesive from eating into the foam.

10. print out your name and epitaph. Use repositionable adhesive to affix it to the stone.

11. using a Dremel with an engraving bit and router attachment, carve the letters in a clockwise pattern to prevent burring.

12. paint the insides of the letters with more latex paint to get it ready for step 13 (which is coming soon!)

·
Registered
31 Posts
The added dimension really does add to the realism and aesthetic, fabulous job! I'm planning on trying my hand at a couple of tombstone projects this year, so this will be really helpful. Keep them coming!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, here is the rest:

14: mist recesses with black spray paint

15. roll a light coat of white or grey flat latex

16. before the white paint dries, wet all surfaces with a spray bottle.

17. weather with spray paint (browns and blacks)and a spray bottle with water for texture and streaking.

The finished work!

This was a fun build, I'm pretty happy with the end result. I hope this tutorial helps someone else. Thanks for all the great comments!

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
I have enjoyed all of your homemade stones and really appreciate you taking time to document your process. I am hoping to try my hand at my first stone soon and this will be an invaluable source. Thanks again and great work.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
21 Participants
Nerissa Balzary
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing