Discussion Starter #1
Materials needed:
Foam skull
Construction adhesive
Tooth picks double ended 3-4
Hack saw blade or demel with cutting blade
Foam tombstone
Paintable caulk

1. With the foam skull draw a line across the skull right behind the jaw line.
2. Using a hacksaw blade or the demel cut in half along the line.
3. Place Construction Adhesive on the skull where the cut is and insert tooth picks halfway into the skull at the cut.
4. Place Skull on to the foam tombstone pushing down firmly but carefully it will break otherwise,till the toothpicks go all the way in and the skull touches the tombstone and the glue squeezes out a little.
5. Paint and finish as you see fit using latex paints.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
That's my last name on that 'stone! I really like the skull addition, though. I'll have to make sure to get one of those on my headstone.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Rev. Noch,

I found some of those foam skulls last year at Michaels. They were a life saver last year!

Daddywolf,
Very nice idea. I am working on some tombstones this year, and thats a great addition. :) Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just take my talk thru Boris' and add those to some stones like this next year... that might turn some heads!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just a thought, If your tombstones look old and weathered so should the skulls. Instead of buying new ones it might be the right time to try your hand at making your own. Using a plastic skull as a mold and vasaline as a release agent try making some skulls with great stuff foam. If they dont look perfect, who cares, they should look old and weathered anyway. Don't forget to tape the mold (ie. the plastic skull) closed, the expanding foam does have a bit of pressure when it expands.
Warning----- great stuff foam is very very sticky, ware old cloths and gloves and I really mean it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
This looks great, please keep up with the pics. I'm look forward to seeing the finish.

Your Hauntingly good Friend

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used word to print out the words or you could use open office(google it) then traced the letters on drew the shape I wanted I used a foam cutter (Michael's $7-8.00) and a dremel to rout out the letters and cravings.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
nice thanks for the heads up. i will have to invest in a foam cutter. I'm guessing a dremel can be a bit pricey?

But for the versatility a dremel is worth the cost.....under $60 at any Walmart, and it will pay for itself, a must have for any home haunter.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Table top Hot wire cutter

nice thanks for the heads up. i will have to invest in a foam cutter. I'm guessing a dremel can be a bit pricey?
I used a 40% coupon for Hobby lobby from the net and got a hot wire cutter table (that runs off Electric and Battery) for about $25.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got my dremel at menard's I think it cost about 30.00; don't get the battery powered one, I have one and they are gutless and don't hold a charge for long.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts