Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We hosted an Addams Family theme party last year. I was Morticia and my lovely wife was Gomez. As asked our friends to come in themed costumes. It went over pretty well - the decor was great, the photobooth was a lot of fun, and everyone had a great time. We're repeating the theme again this year, because we kinda went overboard on the decor and costumes last year, and want to re-use them.

For the past several years' parties, we've played variations of the Money Game. It's always a hit - but this year we're changing it up a little bit: We're asking each guest to bring a piece of handmade artwork. Drawing, sketch, painting, sculpture, etc. No bigger than 12x12x12, and preferably fitting to the party theme. I'm already thinking of how to display it all: a combination of shelving, and wires or twine (maybe a web or net?) on which to hang drawings & paintings.

Now I'm looking for some ideas: I want to have some sort of contest or auction, with two goals: To judge the "winners", and so that each guest who brought a piece of art, gets to go home with someone else's art.

I've thought about the old white-elephant-style exchange, but that will take forever and get boring if we get a lot of entries (I'm expecting around 40 guests again and probably 25 art pieces),
Maybe I'll stick a marked envelope with each piece of art, and give each guest three voting tickets to put into the envelopes of the ones they like the best? And whoever gets the most tickets "wins" and gets their choice of art when they leave. But, not everyone leaves at the same time, so the people who leave early would have to choose earlier.

Toss me some ideas to make the logistics work :)

In the meantime, here are a few from last year's party - I think I posted some of these in last year's recap but here they are again.

In the dining room, a large portrait of the host and hostess. Or, hostess and host. I don't know.

More dining room - medical implements display, caged vulture, misc other stuff. The things on the table were moved into other rooms so that snacks could go on the table - this is still during setup.

One of our favorites, a print of Marchesa Luisa Casati in a frame we fixed up

Misc living room decor

Lenticular photos of ourselves in the front bathroom, they're from the shop at Disney's Haunted Mansion and change from our MNSSHP costumes into grim grinning ghosts. I love these portraits, but this room needs more this year.

Hosts with guests. The bookcase backdrop is a big print on vinyl that hangs up to cover our TV and shelving in that area.

Bar area - before we put out the booze

Random one from the automated photo booth on the back porch. Definitely will do this again, everyone loved it. We had probably 500 pictures taken in the booth.

Behind-the-scenes putting up the bookcase backdrop

·
Registered
223 Posts
LOVE the theme first off and it looks like it was a blast!!....for the exchange- maybe a themed trivia ??? First person/or couple who raises their hands and has the right answer gets first pick of the presents , and once they get a present, they’re out of the competition. At the end, the last person gets to either choose the last gift remaining or steal a gift from somebody else—a reward for all of his or her hard work. But that would entail all of the people to be there for the game.... just an idea ..... :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Love this theme and we are doing it next year, 2016. I followed your thread last year also and you did a fantastic job!! So you are our inspiration for next year.
Thank you.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Logistically it might be tough to have everyone "trade" their art. To make it easier, I would suggest giving everyone at the party 5 Halloween stickers. They can vote their top choices by putting the sticker on the frame. Your top 3 or 5 judged artists can take their pick. And you are left with some lovely decor for next year's party.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts