Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may recall my neighbors and myself are setting up a pretty large haunt in their barn and adjacent property this year. We are going to try and make it as autonomous as possible but would still like to have some actors.
For those of you who have something larger scale how do you get volunteers. One of the brother's sons says he and some friends would do it but we are planning on 5 weekends Friday and Saturday night so it would be a big commitment for anyone his age( mid 20's single !)
I had thought maybe put an ad in the local Pennysaver and see what happens. something like "Do you love Halloween and want to have some scary fun?" and screen whoever responds. Unfortunately I'm not sure we wouldn't get the psychos coming out of the woodwork.
Suggestions. Or should we forget it and do as much as we can ourselves?

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
We have anywhere from 15-20+ actors during the 4 nights we are open. We have gotten support from co-workers, friends, and our children's (now 15 and 17) friends as well. We have also recruited from the High School in our community and our community soccer/hockey teams. Maybe try to plan on two teams, one for each weekend night, that way you won't have them doing both nights? You should plan on doing quite a lot yourselves. Our first couple of years it was pretty much, me, the hubby, and some very close friends of ours. Now we are getting repeat actors, and people coming to us to participate. It takes patience, each year recruiting gets easier and they stick around.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Haven't needed actors, but I would second the idea of contacting the high school, particularly the theater department. Possibly lure them in with free pizza. The bonus is they will be sure to tell their friends and you might get some free advertising at the school. Their set design students might also like to help with your build. Students are always looking for outside activities to add to their college applications.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Haven't needed actors, but I would second the idea of contacting the high school, particularly the theater department. Possibly lure them in with free pizza. The bonus is they will be sure to tell their friends and you might get some free advertising at the school. Their set design students might also like to help with your build. Students are always looking for outside activities to add to their college applications.
Very true dawnski! We provide meals, costumes, make up and provide training. Our kids go to Catholic school, to pass Religion they must complete 10 hours / school year of volunteer hours for the Christian Service program. This year we started working with their school to have kids help out at our haunt to earn their Christian Service hours. We have kids to help build and paint sets, some are wanting to help with video, and make up. All of these things provide valuable life skills and supports the volunteer initiative. Win, win for all!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
The first few years it was all family and close friends, the last 2 years I've used facebook to recruit actors. We got a lot of responses by posting on city and county buy sell trade pages.
You always have to filter out the people who aren't going to work out but most of my responses have been from Halloween fanatics, like me! :)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
We only need actors for a month. we have almost nobody local interested in doing this, the youthful population here is very small.
Most of our help drive 50 to 65 miles just to get here.
The scariest thing commonly found is "Public speaking", many people's worst NIGHTMARE!

We have to have criminal back round checks for our employees. Only Murder or sexual crimes ( frequenting a prostitute) keep them from working here, as far as the State is concerned.
I have always had Way Too many people who have their own ideas of what they can do here, and some have been here before as customers, yet they still think they can work here and chase people , or grab them, or chase them with a running chainsaw!? NO! (None of these things happen here)
We had a young man here who was So Shy, that he could barely speak to anyone at any time. He led tours. A few years later he couldn't work here because he wanted to do "Stand-Up" in a Club!
Last season we suffered with the worst employee ever. they did nothing we wanted them to do for an entire night. "GGGR!"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts