Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok since I am planning and doing my layout for next year and I have the basics down of how to get air supplied to the props. How can I go about activating the props so they go off at a set interval. I.E. like every 10-15 secs etc. Some of them will be trigger by sensors but others I want to be triggered on there own at a set interval. What would I need to do that. Will the picboo box do this or does this only work with triggers?

-Thanks

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The picoboo will control one prop and you could have it go off every 15 seconds for 2 minutes. But it will be a routine until it ends and is activated again. Sounds like you need something bigger and less expensive because you have alot of props. Look into DMX, you can control plenty of stuff from a computer and have it go off exactly when you want it to.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DMX is probably out of the question even though that would be nice. Reason I can not use my computer is it is already running my animation for my LOR and I am out of slots on my board with the combination of it and my weather station equipment from my other hobby.

At this point the two props I need activated would be a prop that is in a coffin that will sit up. Then a prop that will pop up from behind a tombstone. I would like those two to activate on there own at a set time. Will the picoboo do this?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sorry about that, it's a passive infared sensor, like on the motion activated spot lights, Deathlord has a great how-to on his website here:
Motion Trigger -Creep Crafters .Com-
Or you could also do it this way:
HauntedIllinois.com - pictures/mot1.jpg
When the Tot's walk past the PIR, it triggers your pneumatic props, automatically so you don't have to worry about any programming.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh ok I got ya. Yea some of them will be done that way, but there will be a couple that will be in the actual graveyard so no one will be walking by them. So I just wanted them to manually activate themselfs at a set time. I run my display from Oct 1st to Oct 31st of course. With the extra stuff added for Halloween night. Since I run a computer animation for the lights that guests can drive by and tune there radio to a certain station they can listen to the lights synced. So I was wanting those few props to go off on there own during the show.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Oh, okay....hmm...sorry, but I don't see any way to do that with a PIR, but you still could use them to trigger these props but wiring it into an extension cord so the sensor could be placed at a distance from the prop that you are tiggering, like on the path that the Tot's are walking. I hope you find a solution.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The picoboo will control one prop and you could have it go off every 15 seconds for 2 minutes. But it will be a routine until it ends and is activated again. Sounds like you need something bigger and less expensive because you have alot of props. Look into DMX, you can control plenty of stuff from a computer and have it go off exactly when you want it to.
I have looked into this picoboo and what was described above sounds like what I need. Like having it go off every 15 seconds, that would be perfect. But can you have it on a continuous cycle to activate them ever 15 secs?

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
Run why DMX is out past me again, as you only need a spare USB port.

This is a fairly typical issue, i.e. wanting to do more but wanting to hold onto limiting stuff like LOR, often it pays to recognise that you have outgrown the old stuff and move onto the new

Why not just dump LOR and run its functions off of a VSA routine, and go all DMX

The DMXorcist package is designed to facilitate multiple routines running over a DMX network at the same time using timers, input switches and the like, again off of a USB port.

Alternatively new laptop computers are increasingly cheaper, not to mention second hand ones.

·
Registered
144 Posts
There are lots of 'interval timer' kits and circuits to be found...but also, why not use LOR? Just have one channel be this prop and sprinkle in some columns every so often...? I would use a relay between a typical LOR channel and the solenoid, and be sure not to use any fades - just full on/off.

Version S2 is supposed to make inputs and multi-track programming much easier. I will seriously consider jumping from AL to LOR once that software gets thru the holiday season.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Run why DMX is out past me again, as you only need a spare USB port.

This is a fairly typical issue, i.e. wanting to do more but wanting to hold onto limiting stuff like LOR, often it pays to recognise that you have outgrown the old stuff and move onto the new

Why not just dump LOR and run its functions off of a VSA routine, and go all DMX

The DMXorcist package is designed to facilitate multiple routines running over a DMX network at the same time using timers, input switches and the like, again off of a USB port.

Alternatively new laptop computers are increasingly cheaper, not to mention second hand ones.
Do you know what LOR is and what it does?

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been using boards from here. Haunted House Boards for my props. I trigger mine using wireless remotes, but all of his programmable relay boards offer a looping function with an adjustable time frame between routines. :)

You are using these on pneumatic props right? Which one are you using? I don't need the wireless remote just something that will trigger them on there own like every 15 seconds or so for 3 seconds.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
yes, I am using them on pneumatic props. I have the single relay and 3 relay board right now. I trigger them via a wireless receiver, but you can connect them to whatever you want. If you set the board to "loop" there is a potentiometer on there to set the time interval between routines. Once you press the play button, it will just run on it's own from there without any type of trigger if that is what you want.

If you are using solenoids, I recommend isolating your solenoid power supply from your electronics. I am running my electronics from a wall wart, but my solenoids are running off of a heavier alarm system power supply. these boards are sensitive to the voltage spikes caused by your solenoids and they will lock up if they share the power supply without some form of suppression installed.

For me it was easier (and cheaper) to just keep them separated. :)

·
Banned
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It sounds exactly what I am looking for and they did seem reasonably priced.

I did notice about the power and was wondering how it was powered. So I would connect the solenoid to this but both the solenoid and the timer would need separate power supplies correct?

Could this be connected to a picoboo in place of a sensor trigger?

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
yes, there are power terminals (and a plug) on these boards for connecting power to run the board itself. I connected my 3 solenoids through the relay contacts using 12 volts from my other powerr supply to the common terminal of each relay for the respective solenoid.

That one board will control 3 separate solenoids, lights, ect.... I am not sure what you want it to do to the pico boo, unless you want to use one of the outputs to trigger the pico boo at a specific time in the routine ?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts