Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have blue and green LED's for my graveyard (front of the house) but want to accent the house itself. I've read (and seen pics) online where they said they used Amber lights. What do you use? What type of bulbs and where do you find them?

I've found a FEW amber LED and CFL bulbs but they were high priced. If you have a good source or recommendation that you use, please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
This is just my opinion. I bought amber spotlights and was very excited to use them. However, I found it... disappointing.
I don't know why.

I am brand new to using any kind of spot lighting. I had just purchased regular outdoor spotlights and those spotlight bases with the ground stakes.
It was just... very boring.

best (8).jpg

I did purchase a couple of the blue and green LED spotlights at Spirit for in a little cemetery and LOVED them!!

2 (1).jpg

What I was super disappointed in was any of the 'white' LED spotlights to light up my props. They are so... grey and dull.
The regular white bulbs I had used for years to light up props at Christmas are so gorgeous and bright. But get way too hot to use in the areas where any little ToTs might get near them.
I have much experimenting to do I see.
It just gets very expensive.

So I will have to play around again this year. I am interested in hearing opinions or seeing some other photos as well.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hilda!!

I love that second pic and it's the look I'm trying to achieve. I want predominant blues and greens with a "splash" of amber in the background.

Do you think your amber lights were too bright? It looks like if they were dimmer it might work. What do you think?

Reactions: Hilda

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Joining in because I want to see any additional advice on this topic?? We light our cemetery in blue and white LED's with green mini spots it looks okay, but we always sort of struggle with the outdoor lighting.

·
Registered
117 Posts
serpensphile, that awesome lighting photo is from THIS website, from James B! :) It's in this thread: http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/121906-what-does-eveyone-use-accent-lighting-props-graveyard-4.html It also has some good (occasionally waaaaaay too technical for me!) info.

I'm trying to do proper lighting this year too, My biggest issue in tests so far is that the LEDs wash out all the details on my props - especially my stones. I'm using cellophane to colour them so I'm thinking that's the issue and I might need to get proper lighting gels.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use glass paint on cfl spotlights. That way I can lighten or darken and adjust colors to my taste. They also stay cooler.

·
Registered
175 Posts
We traditionally use red LED floods to wash the front of the house and high light certain areas with white LED spots. It gives the house a dark, creepy glow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts