Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is already on here, new to this site. I have a laser vortex that runs off 2 "AA" batteries. I want to buy a AC power supply from Ebay so I do not have to swap batteries every half hour. Do I just need any 3 V AC adapter? What rating of A do I need, I see many. I am assuming this is Amps? I can solder this up, just want to get the right one.
Thank you...

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
If it runs on 2 AA's the amperage draw can't be much. A 3VDC 1A power supply should be more than enough. Just double check the battery configuration to be sure they are series connected and not parallel.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Just a quick comment about laser vortexes, they are not intended for continuous use, like running for 3-4 hours straight. You may also want to invest in a timer or trigger??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I will only be using it for about 2 hours. May even try to build another. Any suggestions on the laser?

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
I think they typically use 5 mw lasers green being most common; they should be available on E-bay. I purchased a complete unit from kimcfadd (refer to thread below) in 2013, it worked great. I also recently purchased another one from another company, the instructions with this unit recommended run times of 5 minutes with laser on, and a couple of minutes off, it can run like this for hours.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/for-sale-by-merchants/125687-laser-vortex-prop-11.html

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
You should also probably try to buy what is called a regulated power supply. Most of the cheap ones will put out more or less volts than stated, and will often put out a lot more when you first turn them on. That can burn out the laser before long.

I will say though that I bought my lasers off ebay for about $8 and use a $3 3-volt power supply and they have run for a few hours a night many times with no problems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I never liked the batteries. Just my personal opinion. I played around with them but ended up redesigning one and found it to be much easier than the laser pens. I actually found a better option last year by ordering a Green Red Laser Stage light off ebay for $15 bucks.
I posted a thread about it last year showing the steps I took but here is the video showing how it works.

You can run these for 2 hours then turn off for a few minutes to cool down. OR simply put it on a motion sensor trigger like I did. Then it wont run non stop.
No batteries needed :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts