Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I play with dead people
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any opinions about applying MM to burlap. Whats better, dipping method or a painting on method. Also..my burlap looks rather thin. I got it at Homedepot. Is the MM going to fill in the gaps. I'm assuming so but wanted to check before I started. I'm building a reeper.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Any opinions about applying MM to burlap. Whats better, dipping method or a painting on method. Also..my burlap looks rather thin. I got it at Homedepot. Is the MM going to fill in the gaps. I'm assuming so but wanted to check before I started. I'm building a reeper.
Good questions, since I too have the HomeDepot burlap....

from what I've read, I think a combination of dunking and painting is the way to go since once the burlap is in place, you might not be able to get the brush into some areas...but I haven't built my monster mud stuff yet

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have a little experience with MM and burlap...just got done building a full size horse. Anyway, plunge the burlap into the MM and then pull it out bewteen your figures to get off any excess. Place the burlap on you prop and allow it to dry. There will be small holes in the burlap that the MM did not fill, once the burlap is dry you can take MM in you hand and fill the holes with that. I will try to find my horse build and link it....

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have used Plaster of Paris and burlap before. I have found that the paint on method really only gets one side. So if you want it to stick, dipping is the best approach. I would assume this is similar to monster mud. Still to get my hands dirty with that, not sure it will happen this year.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Hold it right there, Johnson. Before you get started check out this product -

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/docs/data_sheets/Fix-It-All (DSC112).pdf?user=diy&lang=en

This is a cement based product that outperforms any Monster Mud you can think of. The downside is that it sets up real fast. You need to make small batches. Also, it gets so hard that you can barely scratch it. Sanding is tough. But molding and shaping is awesome. As far as durability goes, it's just about bullet-proof.

·
Registered
184 Posts
DIPPING is the best method . i have lots of experience with this its actually easier if you dip it . then you can kinda place it where you want it you will have to go behind with a brush and get all of dry spots if any....and yes its messy

·
I play with dead people
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hold it right there, Johnson. Before you get started check out this product -

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/docs/data_sheets/Fix-It-All (DSC112).pdf?user=diy&lang=en

This is a cement based product that outperforms any Monster Mud you can think of. The downside is that it sets up real fast. You need to make small batches. Also, it gets so hard that you can barely scratch it. Sanding is tough. But molding and shaping is awesome. As far as durability goes, it's just about bullet-proof.
I'll have to check that out on another project. I already bought the compound and paint. (got some cheap at BigLots)

Looks like dipping wins. I already have planned for the messy:D

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
It's messy but alot of fun, and if done right it looks so great. I also made a reaper last year, i got the giant skull from anatomical chart company.

·
I play with dead people
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I started working on it tonight. Looks pretty good to me. Easy to work with, messy, got some rolled eyes from the wife, held up a beer..said join me..got more rolled eyes.. tee hee fun

·
Registered
916 Posts
MM is deffinately a messy undertaking. On my last project I neglected to cover the floor of my workshop and now have nice little globulets of MM all over the place.....I will cover the area with cardboard next time.

·
I play with dead people
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put plastic on the floor and still ended up with getting some on the concrete...ehh it will come off (eventually). I'll post pics at some point. I found an oil lamp at the Dollar General and am going to rig a light in it that the reaper will be holding. The head (skull) and hands I have taken from a ground breaker that I bought from Walmart last year.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I put plastic on the floor and still ended up with getting some on the concrete...ehh it will come off (eventually). I'll post pics at some point. I found an oil lamp at the Dollar General and am going to rig a light in it that the reaper will be holding. The head (skull) and hands I have taken from a ground breaker that I bought from Walmart last year.
If you are going to have him holding a lights its a good idea to run the wiring through the prop before you get it all MMed. I usually run me wires out the back of the prop about a foot off the ground.

·
I play with dead people
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I havent decided if the light will be battery operated or what. I have not put a backing on the reaper yet and I have holes already made in the base to run any wiring I end up using. The arm that is going to hold the light will be the last thing I finish up in case I do go with a wire.

·
Registered
916 Posts
If it were me, which it isnt, I run the wire just in case. I think your going to discover that batteries dont cut it and you'll want to plug it in. If you have never wired a light I have a thread on here someplace where I wired some light that were designed to hold candals. Anyway....good luck and have fun with it!

·
I play with dead people
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I might go ahead and do that. If you remember any of the tags to your thread..or the thread itself I would appreciate it. Man...I love this site.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts